Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

My daughter passed away and she has an iPad 2, ipad mini and

Customer Question

My daughter passed away and she has an iPad 2, ipad mini and an iPhone 4 that is about 3 years old. she also has a mac laptop which I am on now. I need to find out her passwords in order to open them up. She committed suicide and I would like to see what she was searching on her equipment. The ipad mini was linked to her boyfriends phone. Can you help me in figuring out how to get the passwords without losing all the information
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 10 months ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

Brandon M. :

I first would like to say that I am very sorry for your loss.

Brandon M. :

However, your son is correct. Apple is very serious when it comes to security. You will not be able to find the passwords anywhere and if you did, they would be encrypted anyway.

Brandon M. :

Depending on what type of user your daughter was, some users will put their passwords in a text file somewhere "hidden" (buried in several folders) with a random name that would not give away that it was a password XXXXX So, you might want to hunt around for that. Spotlight can help with that. In the upper right corner of the screen is a magnifying glass. You can search the files on her computer with it. If you know her Apple ID, you can try searching for that, or maybe simply the word "password"

Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX read about it, she was a reality tv star and dating an nba basketball player. Her name was xxx xxxxxxxx and she passed away on August 14, 2013. I am on her laptop, my son figured out the password XXXXX the laptop. Is there a wayto back up all the info on these electronics then restarting them with a new password

Customer :

I have the password XXXXX her mac computer.

Brandon M. :

Sure. If you plug the device into the computer, iTunes will open. When it appears, the device should come up.

Customer :

it did what do i do when i am there

Brandon M. :

On the right, click "Back Up Now" - this will store a backup of the device on the computer for safe keeping. Repeat this for each device.

Customer :

it said i could not back it up without the password

Brandon M. :

Ah, was afraid of that.

Brandon M. :

Where does it say the last Backup was? iCloud?

Customer :

8/17/13, looks like my son backed it up and doesn't want me to know. he is trying to protect me, from seeing what is on it but I want to know.

Customer :

she could not have backed it up herself, she passed away on 8/14/13 and I gave it to him to get the password XXXXX me.

Brandon M. :

Ok, does it say 8/17/13 to iCloud or "This Computer?"

Brandon M. :

If it says iCloud, those are automatic when you plug the device in.

Customer :

the computer not the iPad mini

Brandon M. :

Right, next to the date, it should say "to iCloud" or "to This Computer"

Customer :

i am going away and wanted to take one of them with me as i lost my iPad somewhere right after she passed away.

Customer :

it says this computer

Brandon M. :

Ok, then yes, it was backed up manually to the computer. If so, whomever did it knew the passcode

Brandon M. :

So if it was your son, he had to have known the passcode to back it up as we just noticed.

Customer :

so the ipad mini is backed up to the computer

Brandon M. :

Right, if it says "This computer" and was after her date of death, not much would've probably changed on it since.

Brandon M. :

Except background things like iMessages.

Customer :

so then what do i do now. how can i tell where it is backed up on the laptop

Customer :

after i see that, can i then just do a restore and set a new password

Brandon M. :

It is backed up to a hidden folder on the hard drive that iTunes accesses.

Customer :

how do i find that

Brandon M. :

If you restore the device, it will wipe everything off as if it is a new device and would give you the chance to create your own passcode, yes.

Customer :

before i do that, where can i find where my son backed up everything on the laptop

Brandon M. :

Click out to the desktop, use the Go menu and choose "Go to folder..." Put this in there and press enter: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Brandon M. :

Its best to copy/paste for accuracy

Customer :

i am new to mac, where do i find desktop

Brandon M. :

Easiest way is to click the happy face in the lower left

Customer :

k i won't lose u will i

Brandon M. :

Nope, just don't close this window

Customer :

ok brb

Customer :

where do i find the go to menu

Brandon M. :

After you click the happy face, at the very top, there are menus. File, Edit, etc... One of them is Go

Brandon M. :

One of the options near the bottom of that menu is "Go to folder..."

Customer :

i can't find anything that say go to folder

Brandon M. :

Would you like to do a remote control session? I would be happy to show you.

Customer :

what is that

Brandon M. :

Where I remotely control the computer from here

Brandon M. :

I can show you the menu and where to find the backup

Customer :

oh my son does that, ok

Brandon M. :

Agree and it will download a program. Just run the program

Brandon M. :

Great! I am connnected.

Brandon M. :

I hope I have been helpful in today's session. It has been a pleasure working with you. Please be sure to rate the service you received today by choosing a rating in the bottom right corner. You may also provide a tip after rating, if you feel I deserve one (thank you in advance!). Should you wish to request me in the future, you can bookmark/favorite my profile page by clicking my name on the left. Have a great rest of your evening.

41590.7594672569
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have been stuck since we last talked and have the computer and ipad and mini ipad just sitting. I cannot keep putting more money into this. I cannot find the file marked test that you showed me.