Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Re: Outlook for MacLeft on a business trip two weeks ago,

Re: Outlook for Mac

Left on a business trip two weeks ago, turned my computer off, when I returned, I had no emails. Then, I discovered that emails were not automatically posting to my inbox.
Presently, I must manually refresh send/receive to get emails for my two accounts.
I have tried several fixes I found online to no avail
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo

4GB 667 MHz

OK. I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just finished those steps. Disk Utility was OK. Repair Permissions had several fixes, but concluded as repaired. I restarted the computer and opened Outlook but have not received a test mail sent to myself until I manually refreshed.

OK Quit Outlook if open, then hold down the Option key and open Outlook, this will open the Microsoft Database Utility, rebuild the database then quit when done and open Outlook.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Rebuilt, but no dice. Sorry.

OK go to Outlook / Help / Check for Updates and update if necessary then let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No updates

OK so when you go to Outlook / Preferences / Schedules you have Send and Receive All checked? When you double click it what is the time duration set to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2 minutes

OK so it looks something like this with Repeating Schedule every 2 minutes? Is Only if connected checked? Is At Startup also there?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, only if connected is checked. At Startup was on the drop down menu but wasn't selected

OK now go to the word Outlook next to the Apple Logo under Preferences is Work Offline checked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok add At Startup to your Send & Receive All then go to Schedules and uncheck all listed there. Close Outlook Restart the computer and then open Outlook and check all Schedules again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to be wasting your time. No luck. Still requires manual refresh.

Turn off Only if Connected
If still not working you may have to change the time to 10 or 15 minutes. If you do it too often Outlook will not complete the handshake and download before the next schedule starts. Many ISP do not allow less than 10 or 15 min. I find that 10 works for most.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. And keep the settings as discussed. At start-up and with only if connected unchecked?

No you can leave Only if Connected checked for now let's see.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well, ok. But its not corrected. I was aware of the 10 minute concept, and in fact it may be what it was set at before I started my investigation a few days ago. Not sure what to do other than abandon Outlook altogether.

If they are IMAP accounts then I suggest you delete the accounts and re-add them after restart if not I would try Apple Mail instead. I assume you have called your mail providers and there is no problem there??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I appreciated the time you put in with me yesterday, even though you did not solve my problem. Since our last communication, I have.

In the schedules, there are two commands that must be settled, When and Action. We never addressed the Action command, which somehow had come off track, initiating my problem. So, fyi for your future reference, the following is the correct setting:

Repeating Schedule

At Start-up

Send All

(Add Action)

Receive Mail (for each account)

Stay Connected

Cheers. (I agreed to the full charge, as you spent a great deal of time with me)