John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

My Mac Book Pro is not starting up. I hear the chime, gray

My Mac Book Pro is not starting up. I hear the chime, gray screen apple logo and then it dies down. I tried all reboot options but of no help. Unfortunately i cant find my CD as well. I tried pressing Option, Command +R and many other choices. The only thing that came up was a HD logo with an arrow sign below. The moment i pressed on arrow sign, the computer died down again. Any suggestions ?

Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me the version of OS X installed on this Mac?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John... I am not very sure on the version. But if i remember correctly, i have not upgraded the version after installing it first time.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, can you tell me the specific version of this model or the month/year you purchased it?

Also, when you say it dies down, do you mean it loses power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I purchased this mac in september of 2010. This is MacBook Pro.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay and also, when you say it dies down, do you mean it loses power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. the screen goes black and i hear no sound like there is no power. i checked battery and that shows full power. it is connected to a power source which shows green.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let's try the following three steps to get you up and running, hopefully.

Restart the Mac

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys;

COMMAND, OPTION, P, R

Hold them until you hear the chime a second time and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally. Does it boot to the desktop?

If not;

Restart the Mac.

Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the Mac. Does it boot to the desktop?

If not;

Restart your Mac

Immediately press the "Command"(Apple) key + "S" Key at the same time

When the screen goes black and you start seeing text, let go.

After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt (:/root#).

At the command-line prompt, type:
/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

fsck is a file system checker. It will run through a battery of tests, looking at different aspects of your file system.

When it's done, it will normally produce one of two messages

1) "The volume (name of your hard drive) appears to be OK

If it states the above, then your drive is fine and you can simply type "reboot" at the prompt to restart your Mac and boot back to the Desktop.

2) If fsck found any errors, it may have tried to correct them and will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED--

If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning

/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

Keep repeating this until it reports your drive is OK.

If by some reason you need to do the above more than 5 times, this indicates a more serious issue. At the very least, the hard drive needs to be formatted and OS X should be re-installed.

However, assuming everything goes okay, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Third option gave me a prompt. But the message is Disk full error
The volume macintosh HD could not be repaired.

What should i do at this stage ?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok,

if I understand correctly, you can not find the original install Disc for this Mac?

Also, do you have a back up of the personal content stored on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I do not have the original install disc for this mac. I have back up for most of the content elsewhere. So if you are suggesting an option which runs the risk of losing my files, thats OK. We can take that risk.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, do you know what personal content might be taking up the most space currently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. It will be music and videos which should be taking most space.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok and do you know the "Shortname" for your user account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John ... I did not follow the question, when i log in i put my first name "Karunesh" for log in. I think that is my user account. But cant say with certainty. If you think, it will be easier to speak, i can call you and save time for both of us.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that should be it then. In order to get you back up and running without discs, etc... we can try deleting your iTunes Library to recover space. You may then be able to check the drive and boot normally.

Restart your Mac

At the prompt type:

/sbin/mount -uw /

and press Return

then type:

cd /Users/Karunesh/

and press Return

then type:

ls -al (those are lower case L's, not ones)

and press Return

Does this look like your user account? (You should see folders named Desktop, Documents, Music, etc...)

If so, then type:

cd Music

and press Return

then type:

rm -rf iTunes

and press Return

Once the prompt comes back without any errors, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return.

See if the Mac will now boot normally. If not;

Restart your Mac

At the command-line prompt, type:
/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

/sbin/fsck -fy

and Press Return.

good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was trying this for last 30 minutes. It does not recognize karunesh. I tried few others names which i thought i might have used but that did not work. Then i tried another account name for my son for whom i have created a profile on this mac. it did recognise that. Unfortunately, all the big files are linked to my profile.

Now if it recognises my sons profile, it should also recognise mine because on log in screen i use the same name. Is there something else we can do ?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Yes.

Try this;

Restart your Mac

At the prompt type:

/sbin/mount -uw /

and press Return

then type:

cd /Users

and press Return

then type:

and press Return

find the name of your user folder in the folder list

then type:

cd username (where username is XXXXX XXXXX the name of your user folder)

and press Return

then type:

and press Return

If so, then type:

cd Music

and press Return

then type:

rm -rf iTunes

and press Return

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know. If you are satisfied but have not yet rated, please do so. Positive ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Also, feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question.

I can be reached directly via the following page:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Howdy!

Thanks,