Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Hi, I will start up my I think 09 macbook 15" and sometimes

I will start up my I think 09 macbook 15" and sometimes get the blinking question mark folder. What I have been doing is turn off close lid turn on and then it will go to login after several tries. Well today It was dead I plugged it in opened it and repeated the above many times. I finally thought maybe it needed to at least get a little built up battery so I closed the lid waited 30 mins and it worked! I have not seen this advised to anyone about about making sure it has good battery. Is this a fluke, or does it need at least some charge not to get the dreaded question mark? Also I bought this used in eBay and Im now in my third power chord. The other two were not apple products, first one arrived with small crack and then I tripped and ripped outa wall. Ordered second and right away didnt work. Im now using first on taped together. I dont want to buy an apple then find out this hard drive is bad. Thanks, Brenda
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

I cant be certain if the hard drive is bad, but it definitely sounds as if the hard drive needs to be repaired.

What your going to want to do is run two repairs.

First, your going to want to repair your disk. Heres how

First, start up in safe mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

Once in safe mode, lets repair disk permissions first.

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

Once the permissions repair completes, next on t he left click your mac hd.. Then click repair disk ( not repair disk permissions )

Once it has finished repairing your disk ( which is your hard drive )

Restart the mac and it should run normally, as well as it should be running a tad bit smoother and faster.

If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok Im in safe mode but when I type in disc utility nothing happens. I hit enter to launch it and nothing?

Basically when I open spotlight it doesn't find disc utility, under the search bar it has search Web for......

Search Wikipedia for......

Spotlight preferences. When I click on spot light preferences it opens a Window called spotlight.

Which has different categories. As I'm typing in disc utility it is trying to find it as I type each letter in.

Hi Brenda, and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you..

I didnt see your reply on Sunday, and Ive just started my shift today. I will be online for the next 8 hours if you would like to continue working on this issue.

Question, do you have the mac osx reinstall disk by chance? It may have a picture of a leopard or a lion on it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, It's ok i was able to find the disc utility through the help and do what you said that seemed to fix it, until last night. It turned off came back on gray screen with Apple icon and darker grey lines.

I don't have disc bought refurbished on eBay. Do you think the hard drives gone? Its also noise when it boots up.