Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

After I upgraded to latest Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9), I havent

Customer Question

After I upgraded to latest Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9), I haven't been to do anything with it. The screen goes black all the time. Every 5 minutes interval I would see it loads the login screen for like 2 seconds then it goes to black again.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It seems like the installation was not successfull. The best option is to reinstall it. Before that, we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac and see if it works or not.

1. Turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds
  2. Turn it back on and immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys.
  3. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  4. Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command + R keys. This will boot your Mac into Mac OS X Utilities screen. Select Reinstall Mac OS X in there and reinstall it. It will take a while to reinstall the OS X. Reinstalling the OS X replace the old system files with new one.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I can see the login screen thought. Just that it doesn't stay still for me to click on my profile to login. It goes back to black screen.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
James, Did you try reinstalling the OS X ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

not yet, first option 1 didn't work. It still reboot me back to login screen.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
One more thing to try before reinstalling. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard. This will boot your Mac into Safe Mode. If you are unable to boot into Safe Mode, then reinstall the OS X. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

tried option 2 above (command + R), it does reboot into the Utilities screen, but the screen goes black too. I can see it loads the Utilities screen for a sec then the screen goes black again. Trying safe mode now.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Screen goes black on Utilities screen too ? That is strange. It is not supposed to happen in Utilities screen. What type of Mac is this ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

mac mini first generation

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
We can reset the System Management Controller of your Mac and see if it works or not
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Nope, didn't help. Same problem (screen goes black able to see the login screen for 1 second then screen goes black again).

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
I think this is something else. Boot into Mac OS X Utilities and select reinstall mac os x. Make sure to click on Reinstall Mac OS X before it goes to black screen. Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to. The screen only stays for a sec then goes black. Do you think after I upgraded to Mavericks, it use a invalid screen resolution which my older monitor doesn't support?

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
I don't think so because Mac OS X Utilities is independent from the installed system files.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I noticed when I hit 'option' while the mac is restarting, it presented two copies "HD" and "10.9". What is "10.9" mean? Does it mean it will perform a fresh installation from bootable 10.9?

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
James,both are the partition of your hard disk. One is your main partition where mac os x is installed and other is the recovery HD that is the Mac OS X Utilities

Did you tried different display cable or monitor ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
James, can you try another monitor with your Mac ? That should help us to isolate the problem
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks. It's related to my monitor. Works on newer monitor.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
you're most welcome :)

Let me know if you have any questions.....

Best Regards,