Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I up-graded to OS X 10.9 and my HP Scan no longer will save

Customer Question

I up-graded to OS X 10.9 and my HP Scan no longer will save scanned images.
I have noticed that others with HP Scan are having the same problems.

My HP Scan was working just fine with OS X 10.8 -

I Have an HP Scanjet 8300 - please help.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

This is a known issue with Mac OS X Mavericks and HP Scan. Unfortunately, there are no solutions to this problem yet. You will have to wait until HP or Apple release an update or fix.

Meantime, you can use other methods to scan to your Mac. You can use Apple's Image Capture application or Preview application to scan.

Open Image Capture application from there and that should allow you to scan. You can also scan using Preview application. Open Preview application, click File > Import from Scanner.

If you can preview the scan in HP Scan, then have you tried printing from there to PDF (Print to PDF) method ? That should also work.

I know this is not the answer you are looking, but unfortunately there is no direct solution. Please don't rate me Bad or Poor if you are not satisfied.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask as I'm happy to continue to help you.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I tried printing no luck.

Preview does not see the scanner.

Image capture does not see the scanner.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
John, connect the scanner to your Mac, click on Apple > Software Updates. Does it find any softwares or drivers ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Already tried that

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
John, Download and install this update : http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL40089/cs-97791-1/HP-Scanjet-Update-for-OS-X-10.7.dmg

Restart your Mac and connect your scanner to different USB Port. Then try to scan with Image Capture or Preview. Does it recognize it now ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
John, when you scan with HP can you see the preview of the image ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I downloaded that up-date about an hour ago and it didn't help anything.

I don't have another USB port available.

The scanner works and you can see the scanned images in the HP Scan viewer - but when you save it to file you get a blank screen on the first try and after that an error message that says that the file may be read only.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Only in the HP Scan viewer - but not able to copy the image to past somewhere else.

What a bummer!

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
I've two more work-arounds for you. Once is, create a screenshot of the preview. Scan with HP Scan, then press and hold down Command + Shift + 4

This will allow you to do selective screenshot. Select the preview area and hit return. This will save the image to desktop. This is a temporary work around.

Another one is, use a third party application named VueScan. But VueScan is not free. See here : http://www.hamrick.com/

Try the trial version of VueScan first. John, there is no other way as it is a compatibility issue with Mavericks. You have to wait until HP release a fix.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

As you can imagine from my paying $58.00 to find out I really have no good options - since I have multiple scans to do and I need to be able to

to edit the images - screen captures won't help me there and the quality will not be good enough afterward.

I think I'll go to the Gym and run off my frustration!

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
I understand your frustration John. I'm very sorry that I don't have a better answer for you. You don't have to pay me if you are not satisfied. You can contact support@justanswer.com for refund and cancel this question.

Please don't rate me Bad in here and please rate me good in the survey you get from JustAnswer.

Have a great day,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

There is a not so great work-around to solve this issue.

Go to System Preferences Window

Select HP Scan and bring up new Preferences Window

Select Printers/Scanners

Go to buttons and change the buttons to output to Preview

Then use the physical buttons on the Scanner to scan the documents.

I have found that selecting buttons that output a PDF to Preview works best.

I have talke to HP technical Support and he was absolutely no help and not too friendly - just told me to reload latest drivers and scanner software and then closed the case.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
Ho John, You need to wait until Apple or HP relase a software udpate or fix.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.
And John, forgot to tell. Thanks for letting me know about the work around. Greatly appreciated :)