Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.

I updated from windows 8 to 8.1 pro and not I cannot connect

I updated from windows 8 to 8.1 pro and not I cannot connect to any apple site - not even iTunes?

Sorry this is not a mac question as I have a pc

It sounds like a DNS issue, but we'll see.

Click this link:

Tell me if it opens apple's site, or any website.

Click this link:

I posted this above, but I have to run out for a bit so I want to make sure I give you something to really test. I suspect you're having a DNS issue. Dns is how websites translate to their true address (which is are the #'s I posted above).

Antiviruses can also cause blocks, so I would for sure disable it to try to determine root cause.

Once you tested that site though let me know the results and we'll get a bit more detailed afterwards. One other thing I would consider doing though is power cycling your cable modem and/or router. Furthermore, test any other devices on your network if you have any (even a phone on your wireless would be a good test). This should be a pretty easy fix overall once we root out the cause.

If my response is delayed, no worries I will respond the very moment I can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Wow yes it did and immediately

when you can tell me what is next

Now, I'm still out but I'll do my best to respond to you from my phone. What you're having is a DNS issue, whether it's your ISP or not doesn't matter.

Your local ISP's dns server always answers to a higher source. So, an ideal setup is to always check your DNS against a trustworthy, higher in the chain source.

What we're going to do is change your DNS servers and stop relying on your local isp. So, there's a couple ways to do this. First, the easiest, is to go to start and type ncpa.cpl and hit enter.

Or hold down the windows key on your keyboard (usually between the alt and ctrl key on the bottom left) and with that still held down, tap the letter R. Then type ncpa.cpl and hit enter.

If either are done correctly you'll be brought to your network adapters. I'm going to assume you're wireless, so you're looking for your "connected" wireless connection. If not, then you're looking for your "local area connect". Right click that and click properties.

Double click internet procotol 4 tcp/ip.

You'll see "automatically detect settings" on two portions of this. On the top one, we'll leave it alone.

On the bottom, as it pertains to DNS,we're going to set it manually.

The address you want to insert are:

Then click apply, and click ok.

I'm trying to respond via a mobile device so I can't send hyperlinks to simply this, but my instructions are accurate.

However, if you get stuck anywhere, just let me know and I'll try to guide you through further. I apologize for the inconvenience. If it's not working after my steps above, please remember to use the reply button, not the rating system, and give me some detail on where you got stuck so I can assist you further.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I did what you outlined above and it did not give a place to click apply just a place to click OK

I have done that and then attempted to get to - still no go?

Not sure how to disable Norton 360 antivirus?

Alright, assuming you did the dns change correctly, you can just uninstall Norton. You can reinstall it after if I'm wrong. Anyway, if it's still not resolving, if you were able to connect directly to the ip address I gave you, dns resolution is the key here.

Something is off. I need to know if any other device is having the same issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I had difficulty getting to connect

I did figure out how to disable the antivirus - made no difference when I tried to get to apple - then I also disabled the firewall (Norton) again no difference.

What other devices and what issue?

What I mean is I wanted to see if it's the computer or the router. Other sources would be a tablet or a phone, or pretty much anything what that uses your router. If it's just your computer we'll go from there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK my router runs my phones, my tv and my internet - its att uverse

I guess I am wondering why the router, that worked under windows 8, would foul on windows 8.1 pro?

My tablet is an I pad2 and has continued to work fine.

Do I now try turning off/on my router?

No I'm just covering everything. I need to make sure the resolution issue was only to your pc's. Obviously I couldn't know you had that many devices on your network.

I'd like you to go to a command prompt, click start and type cmd and hit enter. Type ipconfig /all and hit enter. I need to know the gateway and domain servers ip address
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK gateway default is Domain name is

Are these what you need?

Almost there. On the ipconfig /all it will actually post the.dns servers as well. Having those would be very helpful
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They are the two we put in earlier and

Alright, just wanted to make sure. The ip you connected to earlier was the ip address I resolved to apple. We're looking at a block. You said you killed Norton. So from the command prompt, type provides ping and hit enter.

Tell me the msg you get. It'll say reply if it's resolving.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Gave me three distinct reply messages

If you got reply packets your dns is up. Are you still unable to access Apple's site?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just tried and got page cannot be displayed...... Still have Norton firewall and antivirus off.

Off doesn't mean removed. Av version of off is the equal to still running. I'm going to have to opt out to another tech. If you're not fixed by tomorrow I'll jump back in
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you mean the iPad is still able to go to the website and iTunes store?

Can we do a remote session, so we can chat, and I will be able to help you directly?

Please let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the ipad can go to the website and iTunes store with no issues and it goes through the same router and wireless network as this computer. Plus I just got my I phone 5 to go to the apple site and the iTunes store.

Earlier today - before I upgraded from windows 8 to windows 8.1pro I had my Norton on in full and was at both of those sites. This all started after the upgrade

I will be able to do a remote session - give me 5 minutes to make some tea

OK. Please click on the website below, and allow the ScreenConnect remote program to run:

If prompted, click on More info..., then Run anyway. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Before I do - I turned Norton anti virus and firewall off for an hour each and that time is almost up

What do you wish me to do with Norton before I click?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK very weird - I clicked on the site above and then run and it took me right out just like the apple/iTunes and told me "Make sure the web address is correct." So I could go no further. Now what?

Are you using Internet Explorer (the big 'e' program icon), or Firefox, or Chrome, etc.?

By the way, have you tried to disconnect the power cord from the modem/router device for a few minutes, then reconnect?

And have you tried to shut down/restart the computer yet?

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am using internet explorer and I have tried a shut down/restart. I did nothing with the modem since the ipad and the iPhone are working fine with modem/router.

I have chrome available and earlier today was on it but not since I upgraded

Is there any way I can simple get rid of 8.1 pro and go back to 8 that worked?

You can answer that later - right now - once I disconnect and then reconnect my router will I be able to get you back easily?

Sorry, you would have to reinstall the windows 8 if you have the windows 8 disk or recovery / restore disk.

You can always get back to me via this web page (bookmark/add to favorites this web page.) Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thanks - I have bookmarked this page and will get back to you in about 8 minutes as I plan to leave router disconnected for 5 and it will take a bit of time

You're welcome. OK. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Modem/router off for 5 minutes - got it back on then did restart on computer - tried to get to apple with Norton antivirus and Firewall on - did not work - then disabled both of them - same results. I still feel that upgrading to 8.1 is the issue - I have owned and used windows 8 on this computer since April 25th with no issue - no this.

Any suggestions?

Sorry, please try the following:

Open folder/Computer, then go to C: drive, then Windows folder, then system32 folder
, then scroll down
, then right-click on the file name called cmd, click on Run as administrator. Then type

netsh winsock reset

and press Enter. Then check.

If that does not work, please continue with the next commands:

ipconfig /release , and press Enter.
ipconfig /flushdns , and press Enter.
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt , and press Enter.

Then restart the computer and check.

If it does not work:
Please click on Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet, Internet Options, Connections, LAN settings and make sure all the boxes are unchecked, then click on OK, OK.

Please download and save, and run the fix to reset the hosts file:
; download and run the automatic Fix it program there
, then check.

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

FANTASTIC.... After the winsock reset I am in to the iTunes store and onto the apple site.

Thank you very very much - please say something back so I can rate you excellent.

Very highly appreciated.

Great. You're welcome. If you need anything else later, please let me know any time. Please rate my service below. Thank you for your patience.
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience: Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.