John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I installed Mavericks yesterday on my MacAir. Everything was

I installed Mavericks yesterday on my MacAir. Everything was fine. Today, Mail keeps crashing and neither Cal nor Reminders will open. Mail says it is crashing when I'm trying to open the window. Everything is fine on my iPhone and iPad.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you upgraded from?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Whatever was the last most up to date. The last of the cats. Mail, contacts, reminders, maps won't open. All my other program, not part of Mavericks are working fine.
Thanks, Susan.

It sounds like you had Mountain Lion so this should have been a rather smooth upgrade.

First, let's see how the Apps behave under Safe Boot Mode:

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient).

Now, see if the apps run normally or not... If they do then it is likely a conflict with another piece of third party software installed and we'll have to narrow that down.

If they still don't run;
Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the “OPTION” key at boot until the boot menu appears and then select the “Recovery HD" option. (Alternative: Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPT.)

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

Is there any improvement?

If not then the next thing I would try is re-installing Mavericks from the Recovery partition;

Shutdown your Mac.

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear

Choose "Reinstall OS X"

It should guide you through the install and leave all user data intact.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried all of your suggestions and none worked. So I'm reinstalling the OS. It will take hours. I'll know after that.
Thanks for the update, Susan, and I'm sorry to hear you're having to do the reinstall but good luck!

Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know. If you are satisfied but have not yet rated, please do so. Positive ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Also, feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question.

I can be reached directly via the following page:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John - I did rate you. Everything you suggested I tried and none worked. I got to the point of downloading Mavericks again and the computer wouldn't do it. So I went to the Apple store the following day - that was the right solution and they downloaded it for me.