John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Hi,When I downloaded mavericks, one of the cautions that

Hi, When I downloaded mavericks, one of the cautions that came up said my Word program would no longer work on the new OS. I hit OK and went on. I suppose PowerPoint and Entourage also won't work. They are old apps and have gotten damaged over the years, so I really can't use them anyway. I think I should get rid of them from my list of apps in the finder. That would totally get them off my laptop, correct? But, Before I do that , I wanted to be sure that won't screw up something else unforeseen. For example, if someone emails me a Word document, will Pages open it? Thanks, Holly

Leaving computer now, so can't dialog in a chat.

Hi again. ;-)

Was this Office 2004? Entourage was also in 2008 but I believe that version should still work with Mavericks.

It should be completely fine to remove it from your Mac as it will no longer function and is just taking up space. There should be an Office 2004 folder located in the Applications folder of your Mac that contains all the apps unless they were installed individually. You can move the entire thing safely to the Trash.

Pages will open the majority of Word documents just fine. I've used it for years for that very purpose. There may be some formatting issues here and there but nothing too dire, I don't think.