Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

iphoto 6 mac virus

iphoto 6 mac virus

Brandon M. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

Brandon M. :

Do you mind allowing me to control your computer so I can see what happened and see if I can repair it somehow?

Customer:

sure

Customer:

I have disabled the password XXXXX for you to be able to work. Just click enter. The iphoto library is empty at this time. I have an external drive called 2TB with pictures in /ipl

Brandon M. :

Great - can you please go to http://join.me and click Start Meeting - software should download. Please run that software. A little box should appear along the top of your screen with some numbers in it. Can you please give me those numbers so I can connect?

Customer:

I just imported one directory into iPhoto so you can see what's up. I'm using my iPhone as a modem so I can't stay on hold here very long!

Customer:

ok Going there now

Customer:

536-387-571

Customer:

If you are busy we can do this later! I do not want to burn up my minutes waiting for you to respond!

Customer:

I am disconnecting in 2 minutes!

Customer:

I am disconnecting in 1 minute

Customer:

Call me when you are ready to work on my problem

Brandon M. :

Sorry, the connection is too slow. I am not able to connect.

Customer: All I have is mt iPhone for a modem. I request a refund and I will find someone else to help me.
Brandon M. :

We can still try to chat to discuss. Remote control is a lot easier as I would be able to see exactly what is going on.

Brandon M. :

You said you downloaded a jpg. That is a picture file and cannot be executed so unless it was actually a program that you ran, it couldn't have done what you are describing.

Customer:

I don't know about viruses. All I know is I was locked out of being able to delete it. It changed my permissions, deleted the administrator from iphoto directories AND my doc sub directory. I could NOT move it to the trash in iPhoto. I can't delete the picture on my iPhone using iExplore. I have allowed other techs on my system using my iPhone in the past so I don't know why you can't do it.

Customer:

I by your lack of immediate reply to my statements I assume you are doing other things while trying to help me. Sorry But I can not stay online indefinitely to accommodate you.

Brandon M. :

I am doing some research on what might've caused your issue. There are a few things you can try while I do this.

Customer:

OK fine...

Brandon M. :

To repair permissions, please click out to your desktop and use the Go menu at the very top.

Choose Utilities from this menu. Look for Disk Utility and open it up.

On the left side, choose your hard drive and click the button labeled "Repair Permissions".

This process will take some time so please let it work. Once done, it's recommended that you restart.

Customer:

OK I have already gone to Get Info for the directories I was locked out of and added Administrator BACK to who can read/write so that is not an issue.

Brandon M. :

The repair permissions will do that on every folder on the drive so you don't have to do it yourself.

Customer:

in Get Info for that jpg there is NO Option to view who can read or write or view that jpg.

Brandon M. :

Every file and folder has that option as permissions are both file and folder based. It has to be there.

Customer:

Like I said It Is NOT There for THAT JPG. Why don't we try you getting on my system again so I can show you??

Customer:

Tell me when ur ready...

Brandon M. :

Is the number the same?

Customer:

I have not loaded it yet waiting for your reply... I will now.

Customer:

201-507-419

Brandon M. :

Ok, seems to be working better this time

Customer:

Sorry I forgot I have used MacKeeper to shred it since I couldn't delete it.

Brandon M. :

It's fine. Can you show me what damage you were referring to?

Customer:

It's on my iPhone and I can d/l it again. But 1st lets see if it's gone from iPhoto...

Brandon M. :

Is that a brand new iPhoto library or is it the same one?

Customer:

See what I mean about the thumbnails? I've delete everything and copied this directory from my iPhone... There's also a set of them on my 2TB drive... Lets go see if that file is gone...

Customer:

See the pics are all there but I can't get the thumbs to work. I've uninstalled iphoto and copied it from another external CLONE of OS 10.6.8 and still no joy...

Brandon M. :

Ok - mind if I try taking control and trying something?

Customer:

go for it...

Brandon M. :

I think you have to do it. Hold down Command and Option and open iPhoto - a popup should come up

Customer:

Been there done that 50 times... but I will do it for you....

Brandon M. :

Are you holding both keys down?

Brandon M. :

1. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.

2. Open iPhoto.

3. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.

Customer:

ok I'm sorry lemme try again... My wife was talking to me...

Customer:

OK did you see me do it Right that time?? :))

Brandon M. :

Yup - I did. Have you tried a brand new library?

Customer:

Yep... I also tried dragging them to iphoto from iExplore same same

Customer:

Iphoto crashes a lot now also... I've thought about trying iPhoto 11 but after reading the horror stories decided against it...

Customer:

u still tere?

Brandon M. :

Well, there is something that I would like to try. Let me take control again and do some things. Then I will have you create a brand new library and we can test.

Customer:

da there

Customer:

Sorry I'm not a touch typist... sure go ahead...

Customer:

oops

Brandon M. :

Hm?

Customer:

sorry my bad...

Brandon M. :

Its ok

Brandon M. :

Ok, hold down Option and open iPhoto - create a new library and put it somewhere like your desktop. When it is done, let me control again

Customer:

lets import some from the 2TB drive...

Brandon M. :

Ok, go ahead and put some of your own photos in and see if it does the same thing.

Brandon M. :

As far as the crashing goes, that might be because you copied it from another system. Updating your iPhoto would fix that.

Customer:

Now I wonder if I can move the directory into iPhoto?

Brandon M. :

What do you mean? Drag the entire folder of images?

Customer:

ya that works too! Please tell me what you deleted in case this happens to me again??

Brandon M. :

I deleted the preference files to see if that would fix the crashing but it didnt so you don't need to worry about them.

Customer:

I want to try ieplore while I have you online, OK?

Brandon M. :

Brandon M. :

The only thing I had you do was create a new library and import some photos in. You likely had a corrupted library.

Brandon M. :

I personally don't have any experience with iExplorer so I don't know what you are attempting.

Customer:

OK that don't work so I'll have to rebuild the directories... Now then I TRIED creating a new Library BEFORE calling on you... Something you deleted allowed this to work right...

Brandon M. :

iExplorer might need a certain version of iPhoto to work properly. 6.0.6 is pretty old. If you were to update your iPhoto, it would likely work.

Brandon M. :

In your home directory is a folder called Library. In there is Preferences. I deleted two files that started with com.apple.iPhoto - those files just contain settings.

Brandon M. :

You should only attempt to delete preferences when you are experiencing issues with a particular program.

Customer:

Ya but iPhoto 11 is NOT for me. Do you know how high upgrades I can go before iPhoto 11

Brandon M. :

I assume you mean iLife '11? The version of iPhoto in that is iPhoto 9 so the next version down would be iPhoto 8 which was part of iLife '09.

Brandon M. :

I don't know the version number of the one that was just released

Customer:

OK so I have to stay below 8 when it changes right?

Customer:

Ok thanks Brenden. You deserve a tip but I'm a Disabled Veteran living on my VA check so I'm always broke.. No hamburgers this month now that I paid for this service..