Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.

Why does my Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL keep crashing. I am using

Customer Question

Why does my Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL keep crashing. I am using Mac OS 10.5.8.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the ScanWizard Pro 7 twice. Sometimes it will complete a small scan but it won't do the large ones anymore. PLease help!!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  michelleclive replied 6 months ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you today.

Customer:

hello

Customer:

Did you understand my problem?

Michelle :

yes i do

Michelle :

did you restart the mac after you uninstalled the driver before reinstalling it back

Customer:

no. It didn't tell me to do that.

Customer:

Should I try doing that?

Michelle :

thats the rule when you remove any driver or sotware the computer must be restarted as the remains of the driver keys dont get deleted or removed completely and when you reinstall it back it pull the corrupted or remains from the caches or memory of the computer and the problem remains the same

Customer:

Should I try that now?

Michelle :

follow the steps

Michelle :

let me give you the steps

Customer:

I will be disconnected from you if I do that. OK.

Michelle :

uninstall the currently installed Printer Driver

Disconnect the USB cable between the Macintosh and your printer.

Reboot the Macintosh.

Customer:

Do you mean scanner?

Customer:

It's my scanner not my printer. Do the steps apply?

Michelle :

to reconnect to this chat all you have to do is open your justanswer email and there will be a green button view my answer click on it and the chat will be relaunched

Michelle :

scanner and printer driver steps are the same

Customer:

OK. Do I have to uninstall all the mcrotek and scan wizard stuff?

Customer:

Or just the driver.

Michelle :

yes you will have to uninstall microtek complete driver package and then reboot the mac

Michelle :

here are the steps

Michelle :

Disconnect the USB cable between the Macintosh and your Scanner.

Reboot the Macintosh.

Log on as an "Administrator" or the primary user account you initially created when you got your mac

Select System Preferences from the Apple Menu.

Click the Printer & Fax icon/ scanner

press and hold down the Option key on the keyboard while clicking the ( - ) minus sign on the print & scan window. Click on Reset Printing System.

incase there is no printer in the list then press and hold down the Control key while holding down press the + sign to add the printer. Select your printer from the list.

Or

Download the latest driver from the manufacturer website and install the full featured driver software to make the Scanner work with all the features it has.

Click the link given below to download the Scanner driver update. Restart the mac after the installation is complete.

Customer:

It didn't work. I did everything. Uninstalled the driver. restarted, installed new driver, tried to scan at 300 dpi and the scanner stopped before it finished the scan.

Michelle :

how old is the scanner?

Customer:

Abou a year and a half

Michelle :

okay that means its out of warranty

Customer:

Yes.

Customer:

Could it have anything to do with my computer?

Michelle :

i am trying to pull a scanner diagnostic tool so that we can determine the cause whether its the scanner or the computer settings has the problemitself has the probl

Michelle :

i am trying to pull a scanner diagnostic tool so that we can determine the cause whether its the scanner or the computer settings has the problem.

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

i am working on it please bear with me.

Customer:

OK

Michelle :

i am back

Customer:

hi

Customer:

What did you find out?

Michelle :

unfortunately there is diagnostic tool available for microtek scanner but there is one more option left to identify the problem.

Michelle :

do you have another computer apart from mac

Customer:

No.

Michelle :

we can connect the scanner to a windows pc or laptop and load the driver and then check

Michelle :

i am telling you the ways to identify the problem and then implement it.

Customer:

I can ask someone if I can borrow theirs.

Michelle :

yes please

Customer:

But not tonight. Can I continue this conversation later in the week?

Michelle :

you can borrow a windows laptop for an hour from your friends or colleague connect the scanner and install the driver then use it and if you experience the scanner stalling or getting stuck in the middle that means the scanning bulb unit which moves on the rail is getting stuck due to some obstacle which we can identify and fix it.

Customer:

When I do low res scans it goes through some of the time.

Michelle :

yes

Michelle :

if we test with a windows based computer it will help identifying where exactly the problem is

Michelle :

you can try the scanner on another computer and let me know

Michelle :

you can reopen this chat window from just answer email by clicking on view answer

Customer:

So I should just press the button "save & exit" for now?

Michelle :

yes save and exit for now

Customer:

Thanks. Bye for now.

Michelle :

thanks

Customer:

I have installed scanwizard on a hp computer, connected it to the scanner, opened up the program but cannot figure out which button to push to get the scanner to start scanning.

Customer:

The job is listed on the scan Job Queue

Customer:

Can anyone help me?

Michelle :

Hi, i am online and let me know when you are comfortable to be online so that we can determine the issue and come to a conclusion.

Michelle :

h

Michelle :

hi

Michelle :

did you try installing the scanner on a different computer and use it

Customer:

Yes, and it worked. I tried cleaning my Mac up. Took out duplicate files and other junk and tried again. I have had problems from the beginning. It seems like it's a Mac software problem, don't you think?

michelleclive :

Thank you for replying back, i have researched on the issue and at a final conclusion the scanner is good with mac versions

michelleclive :

but it doesnt work good with 10.x

michelleclive :

so we have determined that the scanner is good and it can work fine with windows versions upto date but has a problem with mac 10.x

Customer:

I was just able to scan a 150 dpi 11 x 14. Bigger scans are a problem.

Customer:

Why didn't they tell me when I bought it?

Customer:

What do you suggest I do short of buying a new scanner.

michelleclive :

you can lower down the mac version of your computer to get the scanner working if possible or else lower dpi will definately work but if you want the full feature of you scanner to work then you will have to lower down your mac os version

Customer:

Of course, that won't work with all my other application.

michelleclive :

I understand MAC is the best operating system as well as the best computer but to certain extent they are not compatible with legacy devices.

michelleclive :

like 3rd party printers, scanners, ohp's etc

Customer:

I just bought that scanner within the last year and a half.

michelleclive :

if the scanner was mac built then they have all the latest drivers

Customer:

I shouldn't argue with you though. I should argue with Microtek.

michelleclive :

i know its logical to argue but i am just a support person who choose to give you correct and truthful answer, as i don't represent any manufacturing company. I have provided you the information to the best of my knowledge as per my so many years of experience

michelleclive :

I hope you understand.

michelleclive :

If there is anything else i may address please dont hesitate to ask, i would be more than happy to assist you.

michelleclive :

If you are happy with the information i provided then please do rate my service for the time and effort i have put in to and if you have more question feel free to ask i will be happy to answer you.

michelleclive :

Regards

Customer:

I talked to Microtek and they said it should work.

michelleclive :

if you thing that microtek said it should work the it must have worked.

michelleclive :

and if it works fine with other operating system that means microtek will not deny that there product is bad or not compatible with mac 10.5.x

michelleclive :

try lower version of mac it will work but not on 10.5 as its not working with full feature, rating my effort, service and time will not lead the scanner to work on this version of mac and if it does microtek should have given the correct driver and patch to make the scanner work.

michelleclive :

Thanks for the time and effort you made and i wish microtek can help you make it work with full feature.

michelleclive :

Thanks.

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I see that you have been working on this problem for quite a bit of time.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page. No extra charge.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

OK

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Thank you.

If you are using a PC, Internet Explorer works the best. If you are using a Mac, only Safari will work with this remote.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=0a06770b-573c-47ee-9f03-b0b462dad91e

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Doesn't seem to want to let me join.

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Please, use Safari, then open the downloads window, double click the Elsinore item, double click the Screen connect icon and allow it to run.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Safari

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Please, try the other solution below.

Thank you.

- Please, click the following link, download that file, and run the file: https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true
- Then download and allow that remote app to run.
- Once it is finished, please, tell me the 9 digit number that appears on the top of your screen.

Thank you.
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

All is now working.

If you ever wish to work with me in the future, you can ask your new questions and have them sent to me directly at the following page: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-computertechmaster/

Thank you for your time and please, do not forget to rate my help below.

- Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, it no longer works even though I followed your recommendations.

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

I am confused.

It was working after I spent 1 1/2 hours remoted into your system.

Which DPI are you scanning at?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I am confused as well. I tried 600, 1600 and 300.

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Thank you.