John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

There are a large number of images visible on my iPad (IOS

There are a large number of images visible on my iPad (IOS 7) in the photos folder than I am unable to delete. They are not photos, but appear to be images that were associated with various applications - they look like screeen and document templates. How can I remove these from my iPad?
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Are these photos located in the camera roll?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, but no apparent means to delete them

Thanks, Rick.

If they're in the Camera roll then it's rather odd that an option to delete is not available. Can you identify the app they may have come from?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately I can't identify the app(s), they are probably long since deleted hence the "leftover" files cluttering up my camera role

how do you normally sync/backup this iPad - with iTunes or with iCloud?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I use iTunes to sync with a Windows PC

Thanks and what version of Windows are you running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Windows 8

Alright, sadly Windows 8 lacks a function that might make the solution rather simple so we will have to explore alternatives.

Connect your iPad to the computer.

Open "Computer" (On Windows 8 you may need to go to the classic Desktop and enable access, directions here: )

Does your iPad appear in the list of available devices?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, but selecting and attempting to delete the images fails - no error message, but deletion does not occur

Okay, it's possible that somehow permissions on the iPad have become modified.

A backup and restore may cure this:

open iTunes

Connect the iPad to the computer

When it appears in iTunes; select it and then click "Back Up Now” on the Summary page for the device.

Once the backup has completed, use the Restore option on the same page to copy the data you previously backed up onto the iPad once more.

If it's only a permissions issue then this should cure the problem.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know.

Also, feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question.

I can be reached directly via the following page: