Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

My IPad became disabled after we downloaded a new apple security

My IPad became disabled after we downloaded a new apple security app. We do not know our password XXXXX unable to log in .
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 10 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

Since your iPad is now disabled, you will now need to restore it via itunes on your computer. To do this,

1.First connect your iPad to your computer and open itunes.
2. Press and hold both the sleep and home button at the same time until the connect to itunes logo appears. Continue to hold when you see the apple logo. The sleep button is located at the upper right corner and the home button is the round button on the bottom front bezel of your iPad

Michelle :

.

Michelle :

Let me know if your stuck on any of the above steps

Michelle :

Were you able to get you iPad into recovery mode and initiate the restore?

Customer:

No, I have it connected to the computer and the apple logo....but that's as far as I can get.....

Michelle :

If you have the apple logo, that means you are not pressing and holding both buttons long enough, Try it again, this time press and hold both buttons until the connect to itunes logo appears

Customer:

I have the connect to I tunes on the screen

Michelle :

Great. Now in itunes on your computer, it should now say that your iPad is in recovery mode and prompt you to restore

Michelle :

Choose restore

Michelle :

The restore should take about 10-15 mins, let me know when it is done

Customer:

It says 80 minutes remaining

Michelle :

Wow. It all depends on your internet speed. it needs to download the update first. I will stand by until is done

Michelle :

How is the restore process going so far?

Customer:

It just finished

Michelle :

Okay so now you should be at the welcome stage that requires you to set up your iPad like you did when you first got it

Customer:

Still says IPad is disabled

Michelle :

What? how is that possible. When the restore was taking place, did your iPad display an apple logo with a progress bar?

Customer:

yes

Michelle :

Did it ask if you wanted to restore from backup?

Customer:

no

Michelle :

In itunes on your computer, was there any indication that the restore failed?

Customer:

yes, about thirty minutes into it , it said your ipad is password XXXXX but it was showing it was still downloading

Michelle :

It may have stopped without you knowing. Lets try putting into recovery mode a different way.Power off your iPad by pressing and holding the power button

Customer:

Its off

Michelle :

Now while your iPad is connect, press and hold only the home button until your ipad displays the itunes and cable logo

Customer:

nothing is happening except the ipad disable sign went off but it is still dark screen

Michelle :

How long are you holding the home button for

Michelle :

?

Michelle :

It needs to be held for at least 45 secs

Customer:

been several minutes

Michelle :

Is there another computer near you with iTunes?

Customer:

no

Michelle :

Ok, lets try this again. Power off your iPad again. Once it is off, make sure it is connected to your computer

Michelle :

Press and hold both buttons again until it shows up in itunes

Customer:

I have the itunes again

Michelle :

Good. Now what is displaying in itunes on your computer?

Customer:

Computer has detected an ipad in recovery, it must be restored before it can be used

Michelle :

Ok go ahead and click on the restore iPad button

Customer:

Ok I did that and it says it is in the restore process

Michelle :

Ok great.. Fingers crossed. Is the apple logo with a progress bar displaying on your iPad?

Customer:

It now says my ipad can 't be restored, unknown error occurred

Michelle :

Does it give an error code?

Customer:

Says ipad is locked with password XXXXX cant be restored........Thats what I am trying to fix

Customer:

no error code given

Michelle :

What version of itunes are you running? Do you have a Mac or PC?

Customer:

pc and I have no idea what version of itunes.............Thanks for all your help, but I guess I am going to throw in the towel, its wore me out.

Michelle :

I completely understand its been a while. I will give you the link to update it and you can certainly continue tomorrow http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.