Kamil Anwar, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

How do I sync my contacts on my iPhone with my Macbook Air

How do I sync my contacts on my iPhone with my Macbook Air?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 11 months ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you.

Kamil Anwar :

The best way to keep your contacts current (as well as your calendar) is to use iCloud. Anytime you change information such as a phone number or add a meeting to you calendar, it will sync the new information to any device that is registered with the same Apple ID.

Customer:

can you help me set-up icloud? what is it? i don't know how to do that.

Kamil Anwar :

No problem. Please wait while i provide all instructions.

Kamil Anwar :

Can you tap settings on your iPhone then Click on iCloud.

Kamil Anwar :

Sign up and Sign in to your iCloud from your iPhone.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

i see i actually have iCloud set up already

Customer:

an account i mean

Customer:

where do i then see my contacts?

Customer:

when on my computer?

Kamil Anwar :

Do you have the iCloud setup on your Mac too?

Customer:

i am on my work mac. i have 1 at home that my husband and i share. and one at work.

Kamil Anwar :

You should only set up iCloud account on Mac which you want to by synced. Using two accounts will create problems

Customer:

ok then - i have it set up on my mac i'm on currently

Customer:

how do i access?

Kamil Anwar :

Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu on your Mac. Click iCloud, enter your Apple ID, and select the services you’d like to enable.

Customer:

any way you can log in to my computer and show me how to do this?

Kamil Anwar :

Unfortunately not. But i can provide instructions from Apple site with pictures

Customer:

ok

Customer:

ok.

Kamil Anwar :

Please Click Here

Customer:

ok i read that. still not showing me how to view and modify addresses from my computer

Kamil Anwar :

What exactly do you mean by view and modify?

Kamil Anwar :

Did you sign in to your iCloud account?

Kamil Anwar :

on Macbook?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

when i go to my contacts app i see 6 contacts under "icloud"

Customer:

i have WAY MORE than 6 contacts on my iphone

Customer:

and the contacts option is active under my icloud settings

Kamil Anwar :

Are you signed in with the same ID as you have on the iPhone?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

same email address on my phone and my computer

Customer:

if i can't sync with my icloud successfully, can i sync with my google contacts list?

Kamil Anwar :

You can sync with iCloud. Please wait, i will provide instructions.

Kamil Anwar :

Can you go to iCloud settings and see if Contacts is turned on?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

can i send you pictures??

Kamil Anwar :

Scroll down to see when was the last back up done

Customer:

ahh says icloud backup is off

Kamil Anwar :

Please turn it on

Customer:

it says "Your iPhone will no longer back up to your computer automatically when you sync with iTunes"

Customer:

what does that mean??

Kamil Anwar :

Then go back to Contacts and on your iPhone. Refresh your contact list by clicking on the circular arrow in the top left corner

Kamil Anwar :

It means it will back up on iCloud instead of computer.

Customer:

ok it's "turning on Backup..."

Customer:

got the processing wheel thingy

Customer:

ok it's backing up now - another processing wheel thingy

Customer:

not enough storage

Kamil Anwar :

You may have the default storage which will need to be increased.

Kamil Anwar :

Turn the back up off.

Customer:

ok i don't want to do icloud for backup right now

Customer:

i don't want to pay for more storage.

Customer:

i prefer to just backup to my computer

Kamil Anwar :

We can try another method, please turn the back up off.

Customer:

i did

Kamil Anwar :

Click the Home round button on iPhone then Click on Contacts. Refresh your contact list by clicking on the circular arrow in the top left corner

Customer:

i don't have a circular arrow in the top left corner

Customer:

it says "Groups" in blue on the left, "All Contacts" in bold in the middle, then a "+" sign on the right in blue

Kamil Anwar :

Can you go back to settings -> icloud

Kamil Anwar :

turn off contacts, wait 15 minutes and then turn it back on

Customer:

i don't want to deal with icloud

Customer:

is there a way i can just sync with my google contacts list?

Customer:

that would be easiest for me as i use gmail

Kamil Anwar :

Do you want to sync gmail contacts with Mac?

Customer:

i want my iphone contacts to sync with my gmail contacts

Customer:

and then i could modify/edit my contacts in gmail - https://www.google.com/contacts/#contacts

Kamil Anwar :

Okay.

Customer:

i have to go - can't spend more time on this now.

Kamil Anwar :

What is the version of iOS on the iPhone?

Customer:

if you can give me some tips on how to do that it would be great. or else i will be back later :)

Kamil Anwar :

This is very easy to do

Kamil Anwar :

Have a look at this by Clicking Here

Kamil Anwar :

Complete instructions with pictures, hope this would help :)

Kamil Anwar :

Are you still there?

Kamil Anwar :

#]

Customer:

thank you.

Kamil Anwar, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.