Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

my imac is getting slower and slower mail responds slowly while

my imac is getting slower and slower mail responds slowly while my iphone alreay has it what can i do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I cam better assist you with your issue, I will need additional information. Is your entire computer slow or are you referring to just your mail application?

Customer:

th

Customer:

the entire computer the rainbos circle keeps going around and around

Michelle :

Thank you for the additional information. Normally when computers run slow, there may be an issue with the hard drive or you may be running low on space

Michelle :

What operating system are you running

Customer:

osx 10.8.5

Michelle :

Ok lets first check your hard drive. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in Disk utility

Customer:

ok do i leave this page it is asking

Michelle :

It should not ask to leave this page if you are opening an application on your computer

Michelle :

Are you sure you are not trying to open a new tab or page in safari

Customer:

ok what next

Michelle :

Click on Macintosh HD in the left column and then choose verify disk located at the bottom

Customer:

ok done

Michelle :

Did it state that macintosh HD was ok or did it return an error?

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

At the bottom right corner, you will see information about your hard drive size. What is listed under available?

Customer:

345.2gb

Michelle :

Well your hard drive checks out fine and you have more than enough data available. It sounds like the issue may be related to your operating system which an easily be fixed by re-installing. Before we do that, lets check to see if you may be behind in updates. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates

Michelle :

Which updates are available?

Customer:

says none

Michelle :

Last question before we re-install your operating system. Do you experience the color wheel while using the internet? Or does it occur even when your are not using applications that require internet connection?

Customer:

i don't recall also with my ipad and iphone i have to turn odd apps do i need to do that with the mac

Michelle :

When you say "Turn odd apps" what were you referring to?

Customer:

"off" clicking twice and they appear

Michelle :

So you have to turn apps off on your iphone and iPad? Im not sure I understand what you mean by clicking twice and they appear. Can you elaborate?

Customer:

never mind

Michelle :

Sure. We can certainly focus back on your Mac. Is there another computer that you can resume this chat from. You can also use your iPad.

Customer:

yes my ipad

Michelle :

Ok there should be a link from JustAnswer in your inbox. Click on the link to pull up the chat on your iPad

Customer:

done

Customer:

on ipad

Michelle :

Great. Now just to make sure. Can you close safari on your computer and then open it up again. Also open up your mail applications. Let me know where you see the spinning ball

Customer: It is not spinning right. Now
Michelle :

Ha ha of course not. When you need it to spin, it wont. Lets go ahead and re-install 10.8. This will not erase any of your data, it only re-installed the operating system. To do this, restart your computer. As soon as your computer restarts, immediately press and hold Command+R

Customer: I did nothing happened
Michelle :

You may not have held the buttons down long enough. It may be easier to power down your machine first. Power off your iMac. As soon as you hit the power button. Immediately press and hold both Command+R keys. Continue to hold both buttons until the apple logo appears.

Michelle :

Are you still having difficulties booting into the recovery partition?

Customer: It is asking to restore or reinstall
Michelle :

Ok good that means you booted correctly. Before you do that, do you see where it says disk utilities

Michelle :

It should be the last option

Customer: It. Is asking to reinstall or restore
Customer: no
Customer: Yes I see it
Michelle :

Ok, go ahead and click on it

Michelle :

It will look just like it did before.Select macintosh HD again, but this time choose repair permissions

Customer: ok
Michelle :

Let me know as soon as it is done

Customer: Done
Michelle :

Next, exit out of disk utility (click red circle in upper left corner) You should be right back at the main screen

Michelle :

Choose Re-install Mac OS X

Michelle :

It will be the second option

Customer: It says I am not connected to the internet
Michelle :

Click on the Wifi signal in the upper right corner. Choose your wireless network. If it requires a password, enter it

Customer: ok it is asking for id
Michelle :

Do you know the password XXXXX your wireless network?

Customer: it says 2 hours
Michelle :

It depends on your wireless network speed. It normally takes about 45 mins. You certainly do not have to stare at the screen :) Check back with me in about 45 mins to give me an update

Customer: If this doesn't help what do I do?
Michelle :

You will need to take note exactly when you see the spinning wheel. If it only happens in Mail or safari, It may be related to internet connectivity issues. Lets wait until the re-installation is complete before we troubleshoot further

Customer: Ok see ya
Michelle :

Chat with you soon

Customer: Done
Michelle :

Ok next, you will need to run software updates so you are back to where you where before. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates

Customer: it is checking
Customer: i hit update all
Michelle :

You may also need to run it a few more times. when it is done updating all, check for updates again. So far any sign of the spinning wheel?

Customer: No wheel
Michelle :

Good to know, just to make sure before we end, would you like to try out your iMac the rest of the evening and report back tomorrow?

Customer: should I upgrade?
Michelle :

Yes continue all of your updates until it says you do not have any updates available

Customer: ok no updates available
Michelle :

Fantastic.. You are all set! As mentioned earlier, do you feel more comfortable to test it out for the rest of the even or even tomorrow just to confirm your issue is resolved?

Customer: No I'm fine I will upgrade and leave it what now
Michelle :

The re-installation is actually complete. If you have not gotten the spinning wheel, it means the issue may have been with corrupt files in your old operating system. Re-installing it installs new system files

Customer: Ok I'm out of here. Nice job you are very patient with egrets like me
Michelle :

You are very welcome. I also appreciate your patience as well. Have a fantastic rest of your day :)

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.