Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

I just got the Iphone 5s yesterday and transfered all my pics

I just got the Iphone 5s yesterday and transfered all my pics from my 4s to the new 5s and when I got home and plugged it into itunes I accidentaly selected restore instead of new phone and now all my pics are gone is there any way to get them back?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 8 months ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X be glad to assist you with your issue.

Brandon M. :

How did you transfer the photos from your 4s to your 5s?

Customer:

my service provder did it

Brandon M. :

Ok, do you still have access to the 4s or was it traded in?

Customer:

it was tradded in

Brandon M. :

Ah, ok. Have you attempted to contact the store and see if they wiped/sent it off yet?

Customer:

yes and they said they had already wiped it

Brandon M. :

Ah, ok. Hrm. When you say you clicked Restore, I assume it was at the point where it asks if you want to set the phone up as a new device or restore from a backup, correct?

Customer:

yes correct

Brandon M. :

Ok, it shouldn't have wiped anything off unless you completed the restore process (it would've asked you from when). But if they are gone, I assume you did follow through.

Customer:

it only wiped off the photos all my contacts were still there

Brandon M. :

Do you have iCloud setup on the new device?

Customer:

I have 0 photos now

Customer:

yes

Brandon M. :

Go into Settings app > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage.

Brandon M. :

Do you see two devices there?

Brandon M. :

Or just one?

Customer:

yes I have 3

Customer:

I have my Ipad my current phone and im guessing an old backup maybe

Brandon M. :

Ok, can you tap the one you think is old and tell me the Latest Backup date?

Customer:

it says never

Brandon M. :

That sounds like your new iPhone

Brandon M. :

So, you have your iPad, an iPhone that says "This iPhone" and a third iPhone that has no backup date?

Brandon M. :

Just making sure.

Customer:

yes that is correct

Brandon M. :

Interesting. The one that has no backup date - what is the size?

Customer:

0KB

Brandon M. :

Ok, what is the latest backup of "This iPhone"?

Customer:

yesterday

Brandon M. :

Perfect

Brandon M. :

That might have your photos. Below, look at Camera Roll - what is the size?

Customer:

784 KB

Brandon M. :

Damn, What is the backup size at the top?

Customer:

23.7 MB

Brandon M. :

Yeah, thats a clean iPhone backup

Brandon M. :

So it never backed up after the photos were transferred over

Customer:

next backup size is 11.1 MB

Brandon M. :

Are the photos on your iPad?

Customer:

no I use my Ipad for work so I never turned that feature on

Brandon M. :

Hrm, sadly, I think we may have exhausted our options. Without having the original iPhone, we cannot get them from there. The new iPhone was restored so they were deleted. The latest backup on iCloud does not contain them..

Brandon M. :

And for Photo Stream to work, the device would've already needed to be part of your iCloud account to receive the photos.

Customer:

oh man I feel sick to my stomach

Brandon M. :

Let's check one more thing,

Brandon M. :

Did you ever back your old iPhone up to the computer

Customer:

yes but the last time was back in may. I usually upload my phots on to my comp on a regular basis but for some reason it have been about 4 weeks since I did that last so all the photos from the last 4 weeks are the ones i dont have

Brandon M. :

Ah, ok. I was going to suggest checking that. If you open iTunes, go to the preferences, there is a device tab (sorry, don't have it in front of me at the moment). It shows any backups that might be kept and their dates.

Customer:

yes I have 4 in there one for my Ipad and 3 for my phone one from yesterday one from jan and one from may

Brandon M. :

Hrm wonder if the one from yesterday is empty as well

Brandon M. :

When you chose to restore, do you remember if it was the backup from yesterday?

Brandon M. :

I seem to think it would be because the other two (Jan, May) would've had photos.

Customer:

no it was from may I didnt even pay attention to the date

Brandon M. :

Ok. You can try restoring to the backup from yesterday and see if it is empty or not.

Brandon M. :

So, connect your iPhone, choose it in iTunes. There is a Backups tab that appears (I believe). You should be able to restore from the one from yesterday.

Brandon M. :

If Backups is grayed out, you may need to turn off iCloud backup first.

Customer:

ok it let me restore it

Customer:

my phone is restarting now

Customer:

nope no photos

Brandon M. :

Ah, that sucks :(

Brandon M. :

I had a feeling about that, though.

Brandon M. :

I believe we have exhausted all of our options at this point.

Customer:

ok well thanks for your help anyway

Brandon M. :

No problem. Sorry that I couldn't help. I know what it is like to lose data.

Customer:

thanks ok its tottally my fault enjoy the rest of your day

Brandon M. :

I hope I have been helpful today. Please be sure to rate in the lower right corner. Remember to rate based on the service you received, not based on the circumstances.

Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm