Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Some files on Notes on my iPhone do not show up on the Notes

Some files on Notes on my iPhone do not show up on the Notes on my MacBook. Changes I make on other files sync just fine.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Is the email associated with Notes an IMAP or an iCloud account?
Do some Notes sync and others don't or is it all notes?

What version of OS X is on the MacBook and which version of iOS is on the iPhone?

This will help narrow it down.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

MacBook is OS 10.8.5. iPhone is iOS 6.1.3. I don't know what IMAP is, but I do have iCloud.

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
I have found that the sync is anything but instantaneous, it can take some time to happen, at least it sometimes does for me.
It does, however, sync at some point.
Can you explain which files are not working as expected? When you open Notes on your Mac are you selecting All Notes?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When I open Notes, I see a list of the notes files. Several that are on my iPhone Notes are missing on my MacBook Notes.

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
George, I have three email accounts associated with Notes, I do not know if you have more than one.
Assuming that you only have the iCloud account associated with Notes.
Next is what are the settings for Notes?
It comes back to Mail, Contacts, Calendars/Fetch New Data.
Make sure it is set in iCloud to Push on the iPhone and try a new note and observe what happens.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, I've run out of time for today but can tackle this again tomorrow, if you will be available. I also have an idea or two of my own but do not have time to try them. Until tomorrow....

Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.
Tomorrow is fine.
As I said I have more than one account associated with Notes. So I tried something myself.
I wrote a new note but used a non iCloud account.
It showed up but it took a long time. Then I copied/pasted to my iCloud account and it appeared almost immediately.
So I suggest making sure the iCloud email is selected when you write a Note for quick access over all devices.
What that means is that only iCloudwill keep Notes up to date others are slower by far.

This may help explain.

Hope that helps, if it isn't clear then please let me know.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have done the following, which works:

One by one, I have :

1. Copied each file on the iPhone that is not on the MacBook.

2. Deleted the file on the iPhone

3. Pasted the copied file as a NEW file.

The file then shows up on the MacBook. Thanks.