Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I HAVE AN APPLE IPAD THAT DOESNT SEEM TO BE WORKING PROPERLY.

I HAVE AN APPLE IPAD THAT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE WORKING PROPERLY. WHEN I TRIED TO DOWNLOAD A MOVIE, IT SAYS THAT I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH STORAGE SPACE TO DOWNLOAD IT. THE DEVICE INDICATES THAT i HAVE USED 26.4 GB AND HAVE ONLY 2.2 GB LEFT, BUT THE MOST THAT I HAVE STORED ARE BOOKS. I TOOK THE IPAD IN TO BEST BUY, AND THE GUY THERE TOLD ME TO GO HOME AND BACKUP MY INFO AND THEN RESET THE IPAD SETTINGS. I TRIED THAT BUT APPARENTLY IT DIDN'T WORK, AS NOTHING HAS CHANGED. He ALSO TRIED TO HOOK THE DEVICE UP TO SOMETHING AT BEST BUY TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS USING UP ALL MY STORAGE, BUT HE SAID THAT IT WOULDN'T LET HIM IN TO FIND THAT INFORMATION. ALSO, A WHILE AGO THE DICTIONARY STOPPED WORKING....ANY IDEAS????
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

2.2GB is not enough for a good quality movie. A movie size may have up to 5GB. On your iPad, go to Settings > General > About > Usage

What can you see there ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

at the bottom I see something that says diagnostics and usage.... do you want me to click on that?

Yes

Does it shows usage of each items ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

NO........IT SHOWS ME A WINDOW WITH THESE OPTIONS:

.AUTOMATICALLY SEND

DON'T SEND

THEN DOWN A BIT IT SAYS AGAIN:DIAGNOSTIC & USAGE DATA

WHEN I CLICK ON THAT I GET A WHOLE PAGE OF STUFF I DON'T UNDERSTAND, SUCH AS

awdd 2013-10-14-302.consolidated-metriclog

LatestCrash-iBooksplist

log-aggregated-2013-10-15-002819...Mary-X...

Marybeth, go to Settings > General > About and tap Usage. What do you see on this screen ? Can you see Movie, Photos etc in there along with their usage
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see:

Books 286MB

Photos and Camera 82.8MB

Kindle 51.5MB
Find Friends 26.9MB

Find iPhone 20.7MB

Podcasts 13.8 MB
Music no data

Videos no data

2.2GB Available 26.4GB used

I can't figure out what is using up all my storage!

Marybeth, we can restore your iPad to fresh iOS. That should fix the problem. On your computer download and install latest iTunes application from here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect your iPad to your computer with the USB Cable. Open iTunes and select your iPad in the top right. Then under Summary tab, click Backup Now button. This will backup your iPad to your PC. Make sure "To this computer" is selected in there.

Then click Restore button in there. This will restore your iPad to latest iOS (it will take a while to complete the process).

After restoring you will get two options, i.e Restore from Backup and Setup it as new iPad.

You should setup it as new iPad as restoring old backup will probably bring the old problem back. Then you can redownload all your purchased books or anything for free using the same account you used to purchase them. See here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I have restored the ipad, but now I don't have iBooks on my ipad anymore and I'm not sure how to get it or to download the books that I purchased before I restored it.........:(

Go to AppStore on your iPad, search iBooks and you can download it for free from there. Let me know if you have any difficulty.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OH, WOW!!!! It finally worked!!! Thank you sooooo very much!

You're most welcome MaryBeth :)

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively (as Excellent Service). Bonuses and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,