Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I bought a MacBook Pro laptop 10 months ago. I have owned

I bought a MacBook Pro laptop 10 months ago. I have owned only Macintosh computers and many of them in the past. Also, I have used iMovie for years. Currently, I am having trouble with an animation film I am making with photos in iMovie. It was working perfectly and I had 3 min. done on the film. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, the sound is not working on all of the voiceovers and iMovie music and sound effects. Yet the audio works on SOME of them, so not all are affected. There is nothing on mute.

Please help!
Lisa
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

Question... Is it only on this one imovie project that this is happening?

What about if you start a brand new imovie project file.. And then try to add audio.. Does it work then?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I looked at all past projects and they play perfectly with all the audio. I don't have sound for most of my current film, but I do have sound on some of it.

Also, I did try starting a new project and the audio worked perfectly!

Thank you so much for your help!

If your not very far into the project, I would strongly recommend simply copying over the data from the old project to the new project, and that should cure the issue.

Most likely, the project file itself corrupted.. ( this happens infrequently, but does happen now and then )

If you have too much time invested into the corrupted project file it may be possible to recover it.. But if it would take less then half an hour to copy the data to a new file, that would take less time then our efforts to repair it.. let me know which way youd like to proceed..

That being said, whatever route you decide on, we definitely want to take these two repair steps just for good measure.

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

And also, you want to follow the steps at the bottom of the link below, to trash the imovie and iapps plist files..

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4061

Those steps combined, should correct any corruption of your mac files and imovie files that may have caused this issue.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just completed the repair and I really need to save this animation film. Even though it was only 3 min. long, it is stop-motion animation and has been time intensive. It should be 5 min. when finished. There is a deadline for the film contest in a few days. I did try copying the photos (no voiceovers, special effects, or musci) to a new project and although it initially looked like it worked, I could not view it when played . . . so maybe the photos got corrupted? This has never happened and I am a constant user of iMovie. : ( I have the photos in iPhoto, but starting over is not really an option at this late stage. Thanks for your help with trying to save my project!

( you were able to delete the imovie plist files? )

If so.. Lets try another simple step, lets open your broken project and try to consolidate the media in it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2290

Once consolidated, close imovie, open it, open the project and test.. Any better?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dustin,

I deleted the plist files. Still, no audio on much of my project. Any other suggestions? Sorry, this seems like a tough one.

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Lisa..

Im not sure if you seen my last message, which asked if you had tried to consildate the media files for the problematic project?

Please try these steps next and let me know if it helps, or not.

Lets try another simple step, lets open your broken project and try to consolidate the media in it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2290

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SUCCESS!!!!!! My project is fine now! I'm so happy! It was so simple and I feel like a dummy. ha ha Here's what happened . . .

I looked very carefully at my project which had many voiceovers because it is a narrative animation story. I noticed a yellow exclamation mark on a couple of the voice clips. I decided it was worth deleting these to see what would happen, as it wouldn't take long to record just a couple of my voiceovers. After I deleted those (apparantly corrupt) voiceovers, everything played perfectly, specifically the audio!

I'm surprised that a couple of corrupt files prevented the iMovie sound effects and music imports was playing - Why not just the corrupt files? After I removed the corrupt voiceovers, my other voiceovers and all the iMovie stuff played fine.

Thank you so much for your great effort and help. I learned a lot from you Dustin. God bless you and thank you for serving. : )

Have a great night!

Lisa

Your very welcome Lisa, though I must apologize.. I should have asked about the yellow warning marks.. ( I always tell myself not to make assumptions , though in this case I had assumed if you was seeing any warning marks that it would have been mentioned )

Im glad that everthing is working well again, and hopefully you can make your deadline now!

If you have any further questions please let me know!

You can request me personally by typing your question inside the question box on my page below where it says " ask you question"

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-technicalsupport/

To ensure the question goes to me specifically and isnt picked up by other personnel, please start your questions with the text " For Dustin S only "

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No apology necessary. You were just too kind and didn't want to insult my intelligence! ha ha It was mostly my fault, because I told you I had owned many Mac's and used iMovie for years! I must have sounded like an expert myself. I just am pretty good at using the iMovie software, but not problem solving because I've never had problems.

Thanks again and I would definitely request you again!

Have a great night!

Lisa

PS You will get an "Excellent" mark from me! Wink