jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair 2 years Apple Tech Support

Hi, Safari refuses to launch any page I try. This has happened

Safari refuses to launch any page I try. This has happened after I had started my macbook in a without failure mode. Since then, there is not one single page I can open with safari (and that is my only navigator). Any idea how to solve this? Thanks

jstinehelfer :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I understand technology can be frustrating at times and hopefully together we can come up with a solution to your problem.

jstinehelfer :

I understand your having troubles with your Safari

jstinehelfer :

Is Safari not opening at all?

jstinehelfer :

Is safari opening but not showing any webpages?

jstinehelfer :

Are you getting any errors that would help us in troubleshooting this.

Customer: Safari is opening but the blue line is blocked
Can you do a screenshot and post the picture here for me to see please using the paper clip in the chat toolbar?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately not. I am using my ipad now as I do not have access to internet via my macbook as a result of the issue with safari

Lets try this.

Quit Safari.

Go to ~/Library/Preferences

Move the file from the Preferences folder to the Desktop.

Relaunch Safari. If that helped, move the.plist file to the Trash. If not, move it back to the Preferences folder.

~ (Tilde) character represents the Home folder

For Lion v10.7x: To find the Home folder in OS X Lion, open the Finder, hold the Option key, and choose Go > Library

Let me know if this does the trick.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not have the file in the folder preferences

There are two libraries. One is root /Library The other is User ~/Library

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar top of your screen click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy/paste: ~/Library/Preferences

Click Go

You'll find the file in the Preferences folder.

If it is missing this could be a reason why it is not acting correctly.

If you can get access to another computer and download safari from the Apple website and reinstall Safari should fix the problem. <click link
download the correct version of Safari on to a thumb drive/flash drive and move it to your macbook. Then double click on the dmg install file and have Safari reinstall.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found it, moved it to the desktop, but am still having the same problem.... Funny thing is that the reappeared in the preference folder once I opened safari again. Normal? Any other solution thanreinstalling safari throug a usb stick?
Id something was wrong with the plist file Safari recreated it when you launched it again making a new one. 90 percent of the time that fixes the problem.

With safari off I want you to try to hold the shift key down then launch Safari and see if it will open and run correctly. If it does then close it again and open it normally. If it runs in safemode but not in regular mode then something is wrong with a extension or plugin.

Let me know how this turns out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried but it does not work
Well then you need to find a computer you can download Safari on to a thumb drive and move it to the Macbook and install it over the current install.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks for your advises
Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer. You can come back to this question for follow up answers if you need to. Let me know that you get this resolved.