Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

mac 10.8.5 cannot communicate with Epson v600. Does two scans

mac 10.8.5 cannot communicate with Epson v600. Does two scans and then crashes
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

How is the scanner connected? Also I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Disk needed repairs. Done

Repair permissions needed. Done.

The scanner is connected by a USB cord to the computer.

I also have a samsung all-in-one scanner/printer connected.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok in that case I suggest you install manually then remove the scanner from System Preferences/ Print & Scan and add it back again. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done but problem continues. it scanned two and crashed again. Originally the Epson never showed up in Print/scan preferences only the Samsung. It showed once and has disappeared again. How do I have the mac recognize the Epson as the default scanner but the Samsung as the printer.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Turn off the scanner and unplug from power for a few minutes. Then reseat all the cables and try a different port on the Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Problem persists.

The Epson just disappears from the System preferences Print/Scan and only the Samsung shows.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a different USB cable to try?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Also try this:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys. 

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No success.

It seems only to work when I have removed the samsung Printer/scanner. But tis would be inconvenient.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK try this:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Print & Scan.

Open Print and Scan preferences 

Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, and choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.

This clears out all printers and scanners, then click on the Plus sign and add the printers ans scanners you use.

Make sure they are all connected to an actual USB ports and not a hub.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is the problem.

No reset printing system option available

Only samsung appears for adding. No sign of the Epson.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure you are doing it correctly? You don't see this when you hold the control key and click in the area on the left?

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This really frustrating.

I got it.

But only the Samsung printer appears. There is no pane for scanners and no opportunity to add the Epson.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Just clicking the plus sign and then the Default tab should show available scanners AND printers. If you are using ports ON the Mac and you have tried different USB cables then I would say the Epson is defective. We have done all the troubleshooting that is possible. Sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I rebooted and the print/Scan pane reappeared.But still no Epson.

I agree this Epson has to be defective.

Will return to the Apple store.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No problem.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.