Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

Every time I type now, my MacBook Pro (2009) keeps transposing

Customer Question

Every time I type now, my MacBook Pro (2009) keeps transposing letters, especially in the beginning of the word and sentence. This ahs (see) has been going on for a few weeks now and is getting worse, and is 'dangerously' annoying. How can I fix this, and what's going on? It does this using either the built in keyboard or the Apple wireless keyboard. Shutting down the wireless keyboard does not cure this. PLEASE HELP! Running OSX 10.6.8.
(Does this question/answer session cost money?)
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

Are you only having this problem with the wireless keyboard?

Please, try the following: Press CTRL T

After you do that, test by typing a few times. Did that fix the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, so far so good. It hasn't done it again, but as I said, it doesn't do it all

the time.

I also told you earlier: "It does this using either the built in keyboard or the Apple wireless keyboard. Shutting down the wireless keyboard does not cure this."

Could we put this on hold until I find out if this control-T helped or not? What did that do exactly???

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update.

The CTRL T command is the Transpose command. When enabled, it will express the problem that you had earlier.

The problem will not come back unless you hit CTRL T again.

You can come back later and continue with me after rating me today, if need be.

Thank you kindly,
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh my, well, that's interesting indeed. Out of curiosity I of course hit control-T AGAIN, but now I decided I had better re-do that. Gosh, I hope I didn't screw it up again.

This was very interesting, thanks for telling me about the transpose 'key', had NO idea.

If this comes back, I will contact you again.

Did this simple answer cost me $68 ?? I already deposited that with PayPal Frown ?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Oh, I don't know about that. I am not part of billing. I am just a user of the site.

This simple answer would have cost you 5 times that, if myself or another tech were to do a house call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I had no intentions of asking for a house call, I have an Apple Store a mile away... but of course that also costs money.

The problem seems to be GONE, so happy. It really is worth $68.

Thank you very much. Where can one read about or discover such interesting key strokes to help with problems? Are they listed somewhere? I would love to know that.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ingrid.

Here is a list of the most popular shortcuts: http://www.danrodney.com/mac/

Please, do not forget to rate my help by clicking one of those funny faces and the Submit button. That is the only way this site gives me credit for my time.

Thank you again,
Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, but my sincere "thank you" will be the "Bonus" this time. A bit short on money... Excellent solution, thank you.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much Ingrid.

Your sincere 'thank you' means a lot more than you think :)

If you ever have any more problems, please, let me know. You can request me directly if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, will do, if any more problems come up. Going to type a long letter now without having to re-type every other word

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Bye!

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Bye :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jason, my problem is NOT cured. That 'control-T' just reverses the transposed letters back to normal, but it does not keep it from happening again, over and over. Also, the text hesitates a lot when writing out, it kind of stops to write then blurts out the word quickly. There is definitely something weird going on with my text rendering here. If you can ask around, and maybe someone knows what is going on here, I really have to fix this. It's getting worse, and is NOT tolerable any longer. I have tried EVERYTHING, nothing has cured this. Now my Preference panel keeps quitting on me, WHAT is with my poor Mac Book Pro??

Have a Good Day!
Ingrid

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ingrid,

This is very odd.

Thank you for the update.

May I please, start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? No extra charge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, I just got your note on my iPhone (in bed). I'll certainly let you share my screen, but it has to be later this PM or evening. How late will you be available?

I just MIGHT have fixed it though, after I wrote my last note to you and after spending LOTS of hours with the computer yesterday. More about that later then, if you want to know what all I did.

Later,
Ingrid

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

I will be online for the next 15 hours or so.

Please, post a message here when you are ready to continue.

- Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I've been working on this problem, which was NOT fixed by the Control-T by the way, and right now all is OK again. I'm copying what I wrote to you before:

"Jason, my problem is NOT cured. That 'control-T' just reverses the transposed letters back to normal, but it does not keep it from happening again, over and over. Also, the text hesitates a lot when writing out, it kind of stops to write then blurts out the word quickly. There is definitely something weird going on with my text rendering here. If you can ask around, and maybe someone knows what is going on here, I really have to fix this. It's getting worse, and is NOT tolerable any longer. I have tried EVERYTHING, nothing has cured this. Now my Preference panel keeps quitting on me, WHAT is with my poor Mac Book Pro??"

New news: I finally changed my startup disk to the clone I make of my HD a couple of times a day (on a separate external disk), ran TechTool thoroughly over my regular HD, cloned the 'clone' over to my regular HD, and ended up with the "Clone" on both disks. Kind of gutsy move, but I totally trust my clone. I'm using Carbon Copy Cloner.

Don't ask me what took place or what was wrong originally, but when I went back and started up using my regular internal HD (SSD by the way), everything now works as it should. All the problems are GONE, I can hardly believe it

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

This was a few weeks ago, and the transposing of letters has not happened yet. So, we wait, and maybe it never will again.

Did you ever try to figure out what was going on with my computer? Did you consult with anyone else? I know you wanted to do some screen sharing, but there is no point in that now, since I have no weird happenings that you can look at.... I will get back to you if/when this ever happens again, which I really hope it doesn't.

I did leave nice feedback, but they (who?) kept asking me to do that. I just ignore those requests now. I don't think I should have to leave a

feedback after EACH exchange of notes we make, right?

This is all I can tell you right now about my 'problems', just wanted you to know what's going on.

Cheers,

Ingrid

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the update Ingrid

If you have any future issues, you know where to find me :)

- Jason