Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

a desktop apple computer freezes on start up with the apple

a desktop apple computer freezes on start up with the apple wheel turning and then freezing before I get to my desktop. what do I need to do to fix?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

There are a couple of possible fixes we may need to do.. So I can suggest steps that will specifically help in your situation, I need to ask you a few questions.

Your desktop apple ( mac ) .. Roughly how old is it?

Also, whats your best guess of what osx software its running, Tiger, Leopard, Snow leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion ? ( 10.4 10.5 10.6 10.7 10.8 ? )

Thanks,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bought the IMAC desktop in 2009. It is running on Mac OS X version 10.7.5

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Darren..

Lets try this as a first step.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Continue holding the keys down until the computer restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

5. Release the keys.

Then, if the mac still wont start.. Try this next.

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

If your mac will now start, please try this next.

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions .

Once it says repair permission complete.. Restart your mac, will it start normally now?

( if your mac wont start after the first two repair attempts, please send a reply and let me know so that you and I can continue working this issue together, as the first steps I suggested are definitely strong steps towards repairing the issue, but they wont work iin 100% of cases)

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is repairing the permissions with this message: Permissions differ on "System/Library/Co...ould be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .

Why does this have to be fixed?

Is there anything that could be done to prevent this from happening again?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
All computers and electronic devices need to be repaired over time.. Whether you adhere to the best computing practices or you simply turn on your mac when you want to surf the net and then simply yank the power cord out when your done.

Over any given period of time, a tune up and repair of the software is always neccesary.. If you have had your computer over 3 or 4 months and this has started to happen, that would be quite normal. If you just bought this mac desktop a week ago and this is happening, thats a very bad sign..

If your mac is several years old and your just now noticing a slowdown and startup issues, it probably just needs some software and possible hardware maintaince, no different then how your car needs its oil changed every 3-5 thousand miles..

That being said, if your repairing permissions, then I assume one of the first two steps allowed your mac to start again?

After the permission repairs complete.. Lets restart your mac, shut it down, and then see if it will start normally..

Let me know what happens and if it seems we need to run further repairs, simply send a detailed reply letting me know whats happening, and we will continue.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the shift button (Second fix) worked and I have restart and shutdown completely now twice and It has come up normally to my desktop with no issues. Should I upgrade my operating system, would that help future permssion repairs?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I dont think that you need to upgrade your OS just because of the current issue you had..

Your running Lion 10.7.5 , and thats a very modern OS. Even if you upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8.4 , over time you would still need to run a permissions repair...

If all is well, I would simply chalk this experience up to periodic maintainence needing to be done..

Though, If your hard drive is nearly full ( over 90% full ) or if your using an external hard drive to boot from, Hard drive capacity or damage could also be a factor in what caused this issue..

But if your no where near 90% full, and if you dont boot or use external hard drives, then this was most likely just an issue of maintainence needing to be done.

So upgrading probably wouldnt hurt, as software released in the next few years will depend on the newest upgrade ( mountain Lion ), but as far as the issue that brought you here. Upgrading wouldnt fix it nor prevent it.

Dustin S.

Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment