Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

I have an iPod touch that doesnt have an update in settings

I have an iPod touch that doesn't have an update in settings and iTunes can't find it. Neither can my computer. What can I do?

What is the current version on your iPod? To find it, go to settings - general - about.

Also, please provide me with the model number listed there

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please give me the current version on the iPod too.

It's there in settings - general - about
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, John.

You will need to update the iPod through iTunes in the computer.

Lets download the latest version of iTunes by going to

Once you download and install it, connect the iPod to the computer. Your iPod should be recognized by the computer. Click on the iPod name listed in iTunes and you should see the update button.

Let me know if you find any difficulty.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I view the left side? I never can figure that out.

What do you mean by the left side? Did you mean the iPod name listed to the left side of the iTunes or something?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I mean the player itself. There is no place to click for the player so I can use the left side and see if it found it yet. This may seem basic to know, but I don't know how OK?

The newest version of itunes is having a different interface. If your ipod is recognized, your ipod name will be listed to the top right corner (next to the itunes store button).

If you want to go back to the old interface, just do this. There is a small box to the top left corner of the itunes, followed by a downward pointing arrow. Click on that arrow and select "view menubar". Now you will find menu items such as file, edit, view etc. Click on View > show sidebar).

Let me know whether your ipod is recognized.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this one has store- mac- ipod- ipad etc. no down arrow on the left either. I think it is not recognized.

I think you have not yet downloaded itunes.

Please click on the following link

There is a blue colored "Download Now" button to the left side. Click on it and it will start the download. If it does not install automatically, double click on the downloaded file and it should start installing. Once you install it, you will have a blue colored "itunes" icon on your computer desktop.

let me see if I can send you some screenshots.
Once you have downloaded and installed itunes, you will have the following icon on the desktop

If you still can't get it installed, let me know and we can try the alternatives.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the icon on my desktop. What are the alternatives?

Have you tried double clicking on that icon? It should open the itunes application.

Now, when you connect the ipod to the computer, the ipod should be listed in itunes (to the top right or to the left).

Let me know if it does not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have opened iTunes. On the left side after I have connected my iPod. It does not show my iPod. I think it is it that my computer doesn't recognize it. I get a message saying USB not recognized in a pop-up on the right side bottom of my computer.

This can happen if the itunes is not updated.

Have you downloaded the latest itunes through the link I gave you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, sir, I have followed your instructions perfectly.

Let's try connecting the ipod to different USB ports and see whether your ipod is recognized.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes that fixed the problem. Now it wants to download an update. I have music that I didn't buy on my iPod. ITunes doesn't want to download it. How can I get it onto iTunes?

That is great..:)

Unfortunately, Apple does not allow you to transfer non purchases from the ipod to the computer. So if you don't have those songs already on the computer, you will need to depend on third party softwares to transfer the songs onto the computer.

This software might help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. Do you want me to try that URL. While you are here?

you can. Anyhow I would suggest you to transfer the songs onto the computer before updating. Because, after the update, the ipod will delete all the non purchases on it (so if you have them on the computer, you can sync them back).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for everything, but I don't think I'll take anymore anytime. I should be able to handle it from here. You have been great help! Have a great day

Thank you for your patience..:)

You too have a great day!

If we are done, I would appreciate if you can rate my service.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have rated you as excellent in my last answer. Again, have a great day.

Thank you very much!