James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

I have a Mac Book Pro Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013 and the battery

I have a Mac Book Pro Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013 and the battery is not charging. Everything is plugged in and it shows that, but the green light is not coming on the power cord, I don't know why it isn't working. I bought 2 weeks ago as a refurb
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Hi Lynn,

Does the computer turn on at all?

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it is running and the bar at the top shows it's plugged in but is grayed out and says it's not charging

Thank you. That does indicate a problem with the charging circuit.
Did you try a different charging adapter?

J.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What do you mean by charging adapter. I am using the power cord that came with it.

I understand, I was wondering whether you got a chance to try a different power cord.
Cord itself has circuitry inside that can go bad.

If you haven't tried that, I suggest you do. This will determine if the problem is with the cable or the computer. If you don't have another cable to try, simply take it to any Apple store - they will let you try one of their adapters to test the computer. If you find the problem is indeed the adapter, you can buy a new one - they are not expensive.
If the problem is with the computer, they can get it repaired for you right there in the Apple store.

I hope this makes sense!

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not live anywhere near an apple store, I have no other cord to try until next week

I understand.

You can do the same thing at any local Fry's or Best Buy. They have Macbooks on display, connected to adapters, and they will let you test and see if yours is defective or not.

Many thanks,

James.