jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

MacBookPro (re)start takes approx. 6 minutes and should be

MacBookPro (re)start takes approx. 6 minutes and should be less than 1 minute. I have already removed Sopho (anti-virus) and CleanMyMac. I tried Verbose Mode, but nothing has resolved the probe me. Start-up seems to get for about 5 minutes stuck after the first 8 - 10 seconds until it continues with the startup .
Category: Mac
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 1 year ago.

jstinehelfer :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I understand technology can be frustrating at times and hopefully together we can come up with a solution to your problem.

jstinehelfer :

Have you tried running Disk Utility and perform a repair permissions?

Customer:

I am not sure if I did that - I tried a lot of things couple of weeks ago but I don't recollect nor did I recall all my try-outs. I did most of the things that people recommended when I googled about my problem. So, maybe I need to go step by stap

Customer:

shall i try Disk utility?

jstinehelfer :

yes please

jstinehelfer :

It should be in Finder, Utilities

jstinehelfer :

Actually Finder then Applications then utilities then Disk Utility

Customer:

checked 'repair disk' under 'first aid' -- partition map appears to be OK is the message

jstinehelfer :

So you did that just now or did this before?

Customer:

i did that now

Customer:

it just takes seconds to get that answer

jstinehelfer :

Did you click the verify then repair?

Customer:

yes, done that too

jstinehelfer :

Ok.

jstinehelfer :

Are you on the computer that has the problem or are you using another computer to chat with me on?

Customer:

no i'm working seperately on another computer to chat with you

jstinehelfer :

OK great. This way I wont loose you then

jstinehelfer :

I would like to do a PRAM reset on the computer now.

Customer:

how do I do that please?

jstinehelfer :

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

jstinehelfer :

I usually do this twice

jstinehelfer :

Was you able to do this?

Customer:

going through the cycle a second time

jstinehelfer :

Sorry about that. I think the website was acting up a bit. I could not get your response

Customer:

I just mentioned that I was going through the two cycles - takes a while...

jstinehelfer :

Ok after the second one let it boot up. I have another thing I want to do and see if this will get this loading faster.

jstinehelfer :

How old is this MAC?

jstinehelfer :

Do you still have the two DVD's that came with it?

Customer:

it's a MacBookPro late 2011 - took me a while but I have recuperated the two DVD's that came with the MAC

jstinehelfer :

Ok I have one last thing I want to try before we go to the next step

Customer:

Also, it may be relevant that about a year ago, I exchanged my DVD player for an extra 750 Gb hard drive, and recuperated my DVD player that I can now use as an external DVD drive

Customer:

The second PRAM has now been completed

jstinehelfer :

With the computer up and running I want you to do the following.

jstinehelfer :

1) go to your preferences and select "startup disk" - select your internal drive with OSX on it.

2) restart

3) immediately after restart sound (the Mac "aaaaaah" sound) hold down ALT until you get the boot menu screen.

4) again select your internal drive with OSX and boot

jstinehelfer :

let me know after this if it is faster at booting up

Customer:

for what it's worth, every time that I reboot, there's the fan sound for about 15 secs, than that sound disappears to remain silent for about 5 minutes while the apple dark logo is on the grey screen together with a circulating busy indicator. After those 5 minutes, the hissing sound of the fan sound comes on again, and it appears that only then the reboot process continues. As if the reboot process takes a break for 5 minutes in the middle..

jstinehelfer :

so doing the last step did not help

Customer:

no, it is still going through its 6 minutes cycle..

jstinehelfer :

ok

Customer:

reboot completed

jstinehelfer :

Ok lets put the MAC OSX disk in the computer and reboot

jstinehelfer :

I want to boot to the DVD

jstinehelfer :

sorry took me a minute to find my instructions

jstinehelfer :

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install CD or DVD.

2. Restart Mac, immediately after the bong, hold down the C key until the Apple logo appears.

3. When the Installer reaches the INTRODUCTION phase, click on Utilities at the top of the screen, and drop down to Disk Utility.

4. Click the First Aid tab.

5. Highlight the boot hard drive volume or partition.

6. Click Repair Disk.

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until the scan comes up all clean and good (and run it one more time).

Customer:

does that mean I have to "install Mac OS X" from that DVD?

jstinehelfer :

No I want to try the repair disk before we go that far

Customer:

oops sorry, now I'm reading your instructions

Customer:

it seems to go to the full installation, asking me first for the language...; that's normal?

jstinehelfer :

yes

Customer:

it's a snow leopard installation

jstinehelfer :

do you get to the screen where you see First Aid

Customer:

the boot hard drive volume.. I have bootcamp, and macintosh HD - i suspect i take the macintosh HD to repair disk, right?

jstinehelfer :

Correct

Customer:

mmm... estimated time: 20+ minutes...

jstinehelfer :

that is fine

jstinehelfer :

unless you have to go somewhere

Customer:

it is possible that in my previous use of the repair disk, i didn't take the right folder to repair disk on..

Customer:

no problem - coffee will help get me (us) through, right?

jstinehelfer :

Correct lol. I need a refill myself

Customer:

but time goes fast - it now mentions 11 minutes..

jstinehelfer :

that is a good thing

Customer:

finished: the volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK (in green)

jstinehelfer :

Well lets see how it boots up. If this does not boot up ok then I will have to recommend a new installation. But you will want to back up your important things before doing that

Customer:

boot up normal, not from DVD?

jstinehelfer :

correct

jstinehelfer :

you said you have bootcamp on this or is that on another drive

Customer:

i have a partition on my HD for windows - I rarely use it but it's still there. I use it seldomly for one or two Windows applications that have no Mac equivalent. It never gave me a problem in the past and I haven't used it for maybe a year or so. This startup problem started about half a year ago - but I don't exactly remember that. I usulally leave my Mac on..

Customer:

It is still going through a long startup routine (3 minutes now..)

Customer:

.. and not finished yet

jstinehelfer :

Ok sounds like we did not fix it then

Customer:

nope

jstinehelfer :

You said you have an external drive you can backup your important things to correct?

Customer:

yes, I have an "external" 750Gb inside the MacBook Pro + I use external time machine on a Time Capsule

jstinehelfer :

I guess my question is this. If we do a install of MAC OSX it has the option to erase the drive. Will this erase you bootcamp or will it only erase the partition that the Macintosh HD is on

jstinehelfer :

Important: This step will completely erase your hard drive. If you have installed Microsoft Windows using Boot Camp, or have multiple partitions, this procedure will erase the partition you select.

jstinehelfer :

This came with the instructions so I read this as it would leave the bootcamp with windows alone.

Customer:

;-) you tell me...; I have already upgraded OSX a couple of times as I started of with mountain Lion.. and it never touched my bootcamp or windows partition. On the other hand, I could copy the little files on the windows partition.

jstinehelfer :

It never hurts to backup and be safe

Customer:

If it erases my partition, what do I have to back up, how do I do this best - how am i ensured that all the settings/preferences of all my applications are not lost...??

Customer:

and what about all those applications themselves?

Customer:

(feeling a bit uneasy with the word "erase")

jstinehelfer :

It should only erase the Macintosh HD partition. This will erase it and put it back to stock Mac OSX. If you have any third party software you would have to reinstall them. If you have files like documents, music, photo's you will want to back those up to your external HD

jstinehelfer :

When your done you copy your files back

jstinehelfer :

this is the instruction for you to look at.

Customer:

I use a whole lot of applications, - that will mean a terrible amount of work to first identify in advance all the sources from with to reinstall. I'm not sure that the 6 minutes start-up inconvenience outweighs the possibly great inconveniences from reestablishing my good working computer-status now (once it has rebooted)

jstinehelfer :

If your not comfortable with doing this then I will suggest you setup an appointment with the Apple store to allow them to do it for you.

jstinehelfer :

I agree with you

Customer:

i follow you; unfortunately I do not live in a country with an apple store ;-(

jstinehelfer :

Let me research this a little more and see if we are out of options now.

Customer:

You believe that this reinstallation is probably the only way out of this problem?

jstinehelfer :

Usually in my line of work the cause is either hardware or software. When you troubleshoot the software as far as you can go then you have to blame it on hardware.

jstinehelfer :

I am still looking here to make sure I did not overlook anything

Customer:

ok

jstinehelfer :

you said this is a Macbook Pro late 2011 is that correct?

Customer:

I was wrong, I checked it now it' s officially a 13-inch Mid 2010 model

jstinehelfer :

oh ok thank you

jstinehelfer :

How full is your Macintosh HD

Customer:

it is a 250 GB HD and it has 50 Gb free

jstinehelfer :

They say never go over 70 percent full on a HD

jstinehelfer :

this will cause the computer to slow down on bootup

Customer:

I can easily get to below 70 % with a cleanup effort, and I shall try that over the w-e, but I doubt strongly that this will have that kind of an effect on the boot up. I have been close to 90% about a year a go and the bootup was about 1 minute then..

jstinehelfer :

I just found another idea that I never came across before. I think its worth the try

Customer:

But i shall clean up the disk

Customer:

OK, shoot

jstinehelfer :

Open "Font Book" in your Apps folder, wait for the 'All' list to populate. If you see any font names with a black bullet point to the right, that is a duplicate font. At this point you can click any font name in the list, then 'select all' there is a 'resolve duplicates' from the edit window, this should happen quickly. Log-out or restart

Customer:

there are no duplicate fonts

jstinehelfer :

hmmm

Customer:

I can hear that..

jstinehelfer :

I am still reading up here

Customer:

just thinking about reinstalling: my DVD is for snow leopard, so if I reinstall Leopard, how ill I be be able to get back to my mountain Lion ?

jstinehelfer :

you did an update to get to mountain lion?

jstinehelfer :

have you booted in to safe mode yet?

Customer:

yes, i updated to mountain lion

Customer:

remind me of booting in safe mode please

jstinehelfer :

you hold down the shift key when you start up the computer. It will go in to safe mode.

jstinehelfer :

when you bought the upgrade to mountain you must of bought it through the apple store. So it should save your downloads

Customer:

yep, i bought it through apple store

jstinehelfer :

I also found a way you can make a bootable DVD or thumb drive to install mountain

jstinehelfer :

from the files you downloaded from the update

jstinehelfer :

let me know if safe mode boots faster\

Customer:

safe mode startup showed a bar at the bottom for about 3 minutes, then the bar disappeared and only after again about 7 or even more minutes the reboot is completed...

jstinehelfer :

Sounds like the Harddrive is either fragmented or getting wore out

Customer:

is there a defragmentation possibility (i used to do that in Windows.. in the old days)

jstinehelfer :

it still is on PC but not built in the Mac

jstinehelfer :

I am seeing where someone did a backup of their Mountain Lion via time capsule. Then did a restore of that same backup and claims that is the same way as defragging the HD

jstinehelfer :

I am not seeing any free defrag software out there

Customer:

are you inclined to believe that my HD is deteriorating and that this could possibly the reason for these problems? Please note that while on, the computer works great, but I have recently had problems with corrupted data when the computer automatically shut down due to running out of power. I thought that the latter was because of these unexpected shut downs, not of a deteriorating hard disk

jstinehelfer :

I was explaining that could be an option that the harddrive is getting tired. The only true was to know this would be to do a restore from time machine backup. And then see how it reacts. If you are getting corruption from the computer being shutdown then that would def point out the problem.

jstinehelfer :

If I was in your shoes I would do a backup to time machine then do a restore. See if this speeds up the computer. If so then you know that corruption was the issue

jstinehelfer :

If it does not then you might want to think about replacing the HD

jstinehelfer :

It goes back to me saying you troubleshoot software to the very end then declare it to be hardware

Customer:

that is because restoring from time machine essentially also defragments?

jstinehelfer :

Yes

jstinehelfer :

and you do not loose any of your information that you backed up

Customer:

i'll have to try some of that, but for now - it's dinner time here - so i have to shut down myself now ..

jstinehelfer :

when the restore comes back it puts all the files back in order

jstinehelfer :

Ok let me give you a few webpages to look at

Customer:

ok, but you recommend a full hard disk restore, right?

jstinehelfer :

Just a restore of your Macinstosh HD should do it'

jstinehelfer :

those two link are a complete clean install not the restore method

Customer:

OK

jstinehelfer :

here is the video on how to do a restore to defrag the computer

jstinehelfer :

Just do a new backup via timemachine

jstinehelfer :

restart the computer hole down the command and R key

jstinehelfer :

this will get you in where you can do an install and restore from your backup

jstinehelfer :

Enjoy your dinner and keep me posted

Customer:

ok, thanks for your help so-far

jstinehelfer :

No problem that is what we are here for

jstinehelfer :

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11192 this is the support article for you to look at as well

jstinehelfer :

I am curious what decision you made on trying to fix this problem. Or are you going to just leave it as it is?

Customer:

I am more than pleased to let you know that the Macintosh HD restore (and defragmentation) has totally solved the issue. I just clocked the startup at less than 50 seconds! wow - feels good ;-)

Customer:

thank you so much for an excellent service!

jstinehelfer :

Sorry it took so long to get back with you. My Internet was down for a moment. Good ole Time Warner.

jstinehelfer :

You are very welcome. I am so happy you was able to gets this going.

If you are happy with my work please take the time and give me a good rating. I appreciate your business. If you need any help in the future you can go to http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john-stinehelfer/ and reach me there. Thank you for using JustAnswer we value your business. Please have a wonderful day

Customer:

i get the message that "your expert has not finished answering. After you received an answer, you can submit a rating .."

Customer:

so i'm waiting for that possibility to give you a rating

jstinehelfer :

Oops that was my bad. I forgot to allow this question to be rated.

jstinehelfer :

You should be able to rate me now

jstinehelfer :

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer

jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: A+ Comptia Certified computer repair