Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hello MY MacBook air wont boot up It shows a greyish screen

Hello MY MacBook air wont boot up It shows a greyish screen with a file folder with a question mark can I buy a toot to recover data from it
Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
If that is what you already tried, then do you have the USB external drive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What kind of USB drive do I need?

Any external USB drive will work... it would be easier for you if it was preformatted for Mac but you can always do that yourself using the Disk Utility. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a USB thumb drive or those little flash drives. Is that it or something else?

Sorry I got confused I meant the USB optical DVD drive
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I do have that

Do you know what system version you were runnning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OS 10.8 something Mountain Lion

Ok unfortunately with Mountain Lion if you can't boot to Recovery HD using Command - R there is no ML DVD to startup from. Try this, reboot and hold Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. It will attempt repairs if necessary. If you get to the login screen login and then restart the normal way. If that doesn't work then I'm afraid you will need to take it in to Apple.... the drive may have failed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Apple has not been helpful. They just want to replace the SSD and call it good. I was hoping to recover some data. Thank you.

I'm afraid that is sometimes all you can do. I suggest you get a Time Machine backup so this does not happen again. We all learn the hard way at some point. Good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is a good idea. Thanks for the advice. Fortunately I did not lose a lot of stuff. I guess I would just feel more secure if I could look at it again. :-) But, I think my major stuff is safe. I appreciate your help.

Have you found a lot of people having the same trouble with this device?

Yes the first SSDs were very unreliable. I have three backups. Good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I bought this one 10 months ago. Is that in the category of first ones?

No that should be second or third generation but I see it all the time. I assume they covered the repairs for free then? Backups are necessary regardless. ALL hard drives fail eventually. I suggest an Apple Time Capsule it backs up over WiFi.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes they will replace it for free. Not sure if they will do it when it fails in another few months. This is my first experience with Apple. I love the device but I am a little gun shy now. I had better luck with Microsoft. Thanks for your help.

See if you can get Applecare it covers it for another 2 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will do that. Thanks

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above. If you are not satisfied, please don't Rate to Finish and Reply to Expert and let me know what I can do to change that. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.