Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

MY MACBOOK PRO Running 10.8.5 was wirking fine until my antivirus

MY MACBOOK PRO Running 10.8.5 was wirking fine until my antivirus told me to restart the computer and when I did I CAN NOT LOAD UP THE OPERATING SYSTEM IN REGULAR MODE OR SAFE MODE ALL THAT LOADS IS THE RECOVERY DISK. WHEN I TRY TO GET MY LAPTOP TO RUN IN SAFE MODE I GET A CIRCLE WITH AN X IN THE MIDDLE AND A FOLDER ICON
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk. Let me know after
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When I repaired the disk under disk utility it said that it was repaired successfully but then when I restart the computer I get it loaded into the recovery disk not the operating system

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
OK so Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? Or did the Disk need repair also?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

when i ran verify disk it said that the drive was currupted

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
OK then it repaired that successfully and then you Repaired Permissions?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes and that didn't make the it run normally

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
OK then do that again but instead of choosing Disk Utility choose Reinstall Mac OS X.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I rant to recover the Mac OS Operating system and recover the drive data.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Reinstalling should not lose any data. Do you have a backup?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have no backups

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Well then you really have no choice but to risk reinstall. Since the drive was easliy repaired it should work fine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

can I get into my hard drive and clone it to a backup drive

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
If you have another Mac you can try using Target Disk mode (hold Command -T at startup and plug it into another Mac using Firewire cable) and load the drive onto another Mac and duplicate it
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.