John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

My iPad is stuck. The screen is showing only the itunes logo

My iPad is stuck. The screen is showing only the itunes logo with a picture of a connection cord with an arrow pointing to the itunes logo. I've turned it off & on a few times, but it does not change. In fact it turns itself off after about a minute. What should I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 9 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

It sounds as though the operating system on your iPad has crashed. In order to recover a usabe status, you will need to restore the device. Sadly, if there is not a back up available in iTunes or iCloud then this does mean you may lose personal data (though purchased content can be recovered). We are at Apple's mercy here so please don't shoot the messenger. :-)

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
(Mac users can run System Preferences > Software Update > Check now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

* Open iTunes on your PC and connect the Apple device directly to the computer

* Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up).

* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore.

Note: When you are in DFU mode the device's screen will be completely black.

Note #2: it may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use which ever has the latest backup of your personal data.

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

this did not solve the problem

Hi Terry, can you tell me where you ran into issues?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Did th restore in itunes but nothing has changed. Doing the steps afterward did not help. I get the same results as before.

Did the restore complete successfully, according to iTunes?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes.

Ok, was the screen of the iPad black/blank when you reached these steps below?

---
Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

---

Also, at the end of the restore did the iPad ever display anything else beyond a blank screen or the "Connect to iTunes" image?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

When I release the sleep/awake button the screen comes back on and with the Connect to iTunes image.

So when you let go of the sleep/wake button and were holding only the Home button down, waiting for iTunes to find the device, the screen was not blank?

This is a very crucial part of the process and is sometimes tricky. If the the Connect to iTunes image is on screen during that part of the procedure then you end up doing a normal restore rather than the 'deeper" firmware restore required ffor a serious crash.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes, the screen did go blank, but came back on. Right now the screen is blank, but it is in the sleep/off mode.

Let's try a slight variation.

disconnect the iPad from the computer.

Restart the computer.

Open iTunes but leave the iPad disconnected

* Turn off the iPad by press the sleep/wake button on the top until the device simply shuts off.

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, and THEN plug it into the computer while STILL holding down the Home button...

Note: When you are in DFU mode the device's screen should be completely black.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

If I restart my computer I'll lose contact with you, because that's how we are communicating.

No worries, just bookmark this link and come back to the conversation:

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/822zm-ipad-stuck-screen-showing-itunes-logo.html

Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know. If you are positively satisfied but have not yet rated, please do so. Excellent ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Also, feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question.

I can be reached directly via the following page:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,