Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience:  4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.
10156100

Is there any way to downgrade OS7 back to 0S6? My special other

Is there any way to downgrade OS7 back to 0S6? My special other hates using OS7. I have tried explaining that it is unlikely that OS6 can be reloaded on her IPad and IPhone.
Please state why if this downgrade is not possible, so I can show it to her. Thank you very much.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Cris replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for asking your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be glad to assist you.

To understand why you can’t downgrade to iOS 6, we need to look at the iOS update and restore processes. Basically, after you install a new version of iOS — either over-the-air on your device, or via an IPSW file in iTunes — your device phones home to Apple. Apple then checks to see whether the newly installed version of iOS is signed — as in, the cryptographic signature of the files matches a list of approved signatures on Apple’s servers. This serves three purposes: First, it makes sure that none of your files are corrupted or infected with malware; second, it ensures that you’re only running an approved version of iOS; and third, there’s the small point of fragmentation. One of the strongest features of Apple’s mobile ecosystem is that every device runs the same operating system. If users could downgrade freely, then the story might be very different.

Basically, during the grace period, Apple’s servers still accept the signature of previous versions of iOS (iOS 6.1.3 and 6.1.4 in this case) — and then, when that period ends, only the latest version is accepted (iOS 7). If your version of iOS doesn’t match Apple’s approved list, your device will refuse to work until you reinstall an approved version (iOS 7 in this case). This is why you will read some reports of people being able to downgrade from iOS 7 to iOS 6, but why none of the guides you find online will work.

I hope this helps prove to you special other, if you have any further questions. Please reply back to me BEFORE selecting any negative rating. I will answer your follow ups.

Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience: 4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.
Expert:  Cris replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

If in the future you have any further questions please save my site profile. So you can reach me directly.

www.ITCrisAnswers.com

Let me know,
Cris