Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I cant seem to empty trash because it says; "The operation

I can't seem to empty trash because it says; "The operation cannont be completed because the item "devicesParameters.db" is in use. Then is says; stop or continue and I press continue. There are approximately 15 more notifications with various items in use. How do I stop this to be able to empty my trash can?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

You can use this application, Trash It ! to empty the trash. Trash It ! can force empty your trash : http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8214/trash-it!

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would prefer not to download another application as my system keeps telling me that my computer has limited space and is TOO FULL. That's why I'm trying to delete everything. Any other ideas?

Kate, that application is not even 1MB in size. It is a small script application which will work in one click. It don't need much space. You can trash it after using it. That is the easiest way to solve the problem. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh! Ok - I'll give it a go. Thanks Ashik. I'll let you know ;)

Thanks Kate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hmmmmm, it says that it needs a Mac OS X 10.6 or higher and mine is a 10.5.8 - old, I know...

That's strange. Trash it does support 10.5 and later.Try this one : https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/35444/trashburner

This one is smaller than Trash It.

If that didn't work, then follow the steps below;

Open Terminal from Applications > Utilities folder and type sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

Make sure you to write the commands correctly. Press return key on your keyboard. That should empty the trash. Let me know if that didn't work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is what came up when I tried to download the smaller 'trash burn'.

AccessDeniedAccess Denied85659B8039DE0D0FcdcQXNLhG+XBZZO7i80l2BBbKZec9S2o

wkqTagJTCzhVHD0lhjsz31SQNVYURkoi

I'll give the next step a try and let you know...

Try terminal commands. Those are the commands to kill the trash and create new one. Remember, everything on the trash will be deleted
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Forgive me for asking (cause I can hear you rolling your eyes at the stupidity) but terminal commands?! What and where is this?

No problem Kate. Terminal commands are the ones I sent you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think it worked! The only thing in my trash is a Nokia Folder. ?????? Don't know what that is or why it wasn't also deleted. Just wondering though - is this how I have to clear the trash from now on? Also, does deleting files and documents really clear up that much space on my hard drive?

We killed and created a new trash. From now on, you can empty trash like the normal way. Re Nokia, can you empty the trash now ?

Document files are not that big in size. You have to delete bigger files like Movies, Applications etc to free some space. Here is a small utility that helps you to understand what is taking all the space of your hard drive : https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14393/disk-inventory-x

If you've many movies on your Mac, then delete them as that will free much space.
Hi Kate,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,