Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing, CISCO certified technician.
30970729

Hi, I own a MacBook OS X. I shot a lot of video on holidays

I own a MacBook OS X. I shot a lot of video on holidays this August- featuring a cycle trip across northern Japan- and I want to turn it into a Youtube video. I would like your help in putting this all together adding text and music and making it a nice piece of work.

Here`s the situation: I started the movie/ documentary using my JVC Experto (model no. GZ-HM690-S). Then literally in the first few days of shooting while at home in Naha, Okinawa, this new camera fell apart.

So, when I went to Tokyo I bought a Canon HD video camera (iVIS HF R42). This got me along for a few days on my trip, but then I accidentally sent home the power adapter for it (thinking it was for the JVC. Doh!)

So I had to resort to shooting film/ er, video, on my digital camera- Canon Power Shot S110- for like a week. It took me several SD cards to accomplish this.

Finally I got out of "the outbacks" and into a larger center where I purchased a charger for my Canon HD video camera, so I then spent most of the rest of my trip shooting on this. However, during this time, I sometimes would shoot with my digital camera for things like menus, mountains, flowers (still shots) because it was faster than using my digital camera.

Now I want to:
1. put all of this on my MacBook. Virtually all my video is now on SD cards. How do I get the video from there on to a) my MacBook and b) my iTunes?
After you and I resolve that. I would like to learn how to
2. how to take only the video and snapshots from my cameras and put them together into a new video/ documentary.
after I learn that, I would like to learn how to
3. add music and my own voice over
and after I learn that, I would like to learn how to add text for things like credit and subtitiles.

Things like learning to adjust lighting and sound post-shooting would be great to learn, but I think that is down the road/ for another day.

Also, would you like your name in my credits on this film which could be anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 or 3 hours long? I plan to release it December 1st.

I really look forward to you teaching me a new way of expressing myself.
Sincere kind regards,
"Scamper"
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi there Scamper,
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your video question.

First, to transfer video from a SD card to your Mac, connect the SD card to the Mac using either your camera or a card reader, and access the card using Finder, then select and drag the video file(s) from Finder to your chosen location on the Mac, e.g. a new folder called "Japan".

Next, to transfer the video into iTunes, open iTunes and choose File > "Add to Library," then locate the file or folder (e.g. the one you just created), and then click Choose. iTunes will then add a pointer for each video file in the iTunes folder.

Note that not all videos will be viewable in iTunes, depending on what format they were recorded in. It may be necessary to convert the videos to a different format if you wish to view them in iTunes.

Try the above and let me know how you get on.

You can reply back with any questions you may have, and I'll be standing by to assist you further.

Pete.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Thanks for your comments. I should say that not only am I new to video editing, but I am quite a novice around computers, so, although, I could figure out on my own that I needed to plug the usb from the camera into the computer, I have stalled at the point.

I don`t know if the movie from the sd card in my video camera automatically goes on or if I have to hit a few more buttons. I also clicked "Finder" the icon on the dock and I got nowhere in finding my video, if it was even added. I have no clue as to where to look for it. I hope you can help me

1. get the video from my sd card/ camera onto my computer

and

2. find my video on Finder so that I can continue with your initial instructions.

Thanks for your patience.

Scamper

Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
When the camera is connected to the Mac, ensure it is turned on and it should appear in Finder as an external storage device. If you cannot see it, or you aren't sure which drive or device it is, let me know what all you can see in Finder.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Am I looking at the Finder on the bar on the top of the screen or Finder on the dock at the bottom of the screen? Either way I see nothing as an external storage device. Here is what I see on the Finder icon at the bottom of the screen:

There is a small column on the left side reading from the top to the bottom:

FAVORITES

Dropbox

All My Files

Air Drop

(my name beside a house icon)

Applications

Desktop

Documents

DEVICES

Skype
CANON

Untitiled

----

I checked the word CANON and the screen that comes up has like 16 green or blue icons that come up with things like MIX.03.jpg and when I click on them they are just simple drawings that I have never seen before.

------

Then beside this column on the left is the main screen.

It has the following categories and each category has some icon-like things.

Here are the categories from top to bottom:

Contacts

Images

PDF Documents

Music

Movies

Presentations

Developer

Spreadsheets

Documents

I examined the area titled movies and it appears to have all or most of the movies I have ever put on there EXCEPT what I am now trying to put on.

-----

Just to let you know, I have my camera`s usb plugged into the computer and I have the camera plugged into the wall socket and here is what it says on my video camera`s screen:

"USB Connection (in green letters)

Do not disconnect the power source.

Cannot write data with this connection.

To write data to the camcorder, connect the compact power adapter then
reconnect the camcorder and computer.

Don`t not disconnect the USB cable

unless you first use the computer

to safely end the connection,

------

so I guess I will shut off the computer and try this again.

Scamper

Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Use the Finder on the Dock.

The camera will show up under DEVICES when it is connected correctly.

Since you are getting the "Cannot write data with this connection" message, this indicates that the Macbook cannot see the camera correctly. Try removing the camera cord from the USB connection and try a different USB port on the Macbook.

If the camera still has difficulty connecting to a different USB port, try inserting the SD card directly into the card reader slot on your Macbook.

Let me know once you are able to successfully see your new videos in Finder.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay I have moved the usb cord to a different port and I will work with this for a bit.

In the meantime, I will mention that I am not aware of a SD card reader slot. I have looked and haven`t found it. I would love to know where it is.

Thanks.

Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Have a look along the left side of the Macbook.

If you can't find it, send me your Macbook's model number and I will check the spec for you.

graphic

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Pete,

I couldn`t find the port, but I did find the model number: A1342.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX the videos from my SD card which is on my camcorder, do I merely plug in the USB cord from the camera to the computer and the rest is automatic, or is there some other command I should be giving my camera?

Thanks.

Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately the A1342 does not have a built-in SD card reader, but newer versions of the 13" Macbook do.

You only need to plug in the USB cord from the camera to the computer, and ensure that the camera is powered on, and the rest is automatic. You don't need to give any command.

If the first camera isn't being recognised by the Macbook, try the other one.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

While I check out your recent suggestion, I will ask you something I have just thought of. Both my Canon digital camera and Canon HD camcorder are new and I haven`t inserted their disks into the computer. Do those disks need to be downloaded by the computer before my computer will start recognizing them?

Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

No, the disks contain additional software which may be used for storing or editing photos, but is not necessary for a computer to recognise the camera.

However, I have checked the Canon website, and the iVIS HF R42 does not appear to be compatible with Macs.

The PowerShot should connect ok.

If you still have difficulties connecting either camera, then you may need to use a different computer (e.g. a PC) to transfer the videos to a USB memory stick or portable USB drive, and then connect that to the Mac instead.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

If what you say is true, it is a setback indeed. I initially had trouble downloading video from my first video camera the JVC. After weeks if not months of taking my computer to experts here in Naha, Okinawa, Japan, I finally took it back to Calgary, Alberta, Canada and the Apple store updated my version to something more current. I guess it was the OS they updated to something a few years newer. I have to admit, I don`t know what they updated, but it surely must have been the OS. Anyway, it then downloaded video from my camera. Then my blasted JVC broke.

I hope what you are saying, doesn`t mean that I have to buy a new computer. I gather from what you are saying that I may have to take my computer to the place I bought it and transfer the videos from my SD cards to a USB memory stick on one of their computers or to a portable USB drive. Would you be able to send me a picture of a portable USB drive (I checked google images and there are various pictures)?

Thanks.

Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
There are indeed many different types of USB portable drives, with different shapes and sizes.
A local computer store, library, or anyone with access to another computer should be able to transfer the videos quite quickly for you.
Here are some images:
www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_browse-b_5?rh=n%3A2127209051%2Ck%3Aportable+usb+drive%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A2180335051
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

So to wrap up this current round, my next step is to go to a computer shop and buy either a USB memory stick or portable USB drive and have the shop transfer the videos to a USB memory stick or portable USB drive.

Will do.

I guess I will tackle the other editing queries, once I get this done.

Do you recommend a USB stick or a portable USB drive?

Thanks.

Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
Yes, the next step is to get the videos transferred to a USB device.
I would recommend a USB stick - they are smaller and more portable and will contain ample storage space for your videos.
Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience: HNC Computing, CISCO certified technician.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Pete,

I realized that you and I addressed situation number 1 from my list below, but we never made it to 2 or 3, as I now need to go to a computer shop and have them put all my video on USB sticks. But I was wondering if you could please answer 2 and 3 to the best of your ability now as my free trial offer expires in a few hours and I want to learn as much as I can as it may save me down the road or help prepare me for later. I appreciate this and look forward to a happy video making career. Thanks so much.

Here are my request from 1 to 3:

Now I want to:
2. how to take only the video and snapshots from my cameras and put them together into a new video/ documentary. How do I cut out scenes and how do I join other scenes together?
3. add music and my own voice over

Scamper.