Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Printing on a mac

Printing on a mac
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Could you please explain your question little more ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you do if you have a med card that was created on a pc and you have to print it out on a mac? I have called the company twice and they have no clue. They dont send cards thru the mail, printing is the only way

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What is the format/extension of that med card ? like .doc, .file etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I dont know, there is no extension that I can see and cs didnt know either

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
There should be an extension, eg : for a picture file it should be like picture.jpg where .jpg is the extension

Do you have access to that file now ? What is the full name of that file ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was just on the page and u print it out. I have tried to print it thru outlook but when I print it out and a huge card that is cut off, you get the info on the right and left side

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Nancy, so you are directly printing from email. Right ? Have you tried printing from Safari ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I had to reprint the card and it came thru email. At the top it says to use a web browser, I clicked the link but it doesn't work, Safari is my browser, should I try Chrome

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No need to. All you have to do is, adjust the paper layout in printing settings. What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.7.5

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
And what is the size of your paper ? Is it A4 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

whatever the standard size is

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok Nancy. Open Outlook and open the email. Click on File > Print or hit Print or press Command + P

This will bring the Print dialogue box, like in the picture below;
graphic
Now, click the arrow next to the Printer's name or the Show Details button to expand the print window and this will show more settings, like in the picture below;
graphic
If you are using standard size paper, select US Letter. Since this is a card, set the Orientation to Landscape (you can see the icon of orientation in there). Then select Scale to Fit and hit Print.

If that didn't work, then change the Orientation to other one and click Print. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Nancy, If you have any trouble following the steps please let me know and I will walk you through it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can follow the steps, thats not the problem, the biggest problem is getting it to print and why this is the only document that wont print even the printer is connected.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I thought you are are able to print it out, but not in correct layout. Who is your email provider Nancy ? Gmail, Yahoo etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Verizon

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open Safari or Chrome, open your webmail. The webmail address of verizon is ---> https://webmail.verizon.com/signin/

Then login to your email. Open the email that have that card and can you print directly from there ?

Make sure to change the orientation and layout settings while printing from there too. Let me know if you are still unable to print ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, I went to Verizon and they only have email for 1 month (which is March) I am truly stumped

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Could you please send me the screenshot of that email in Outlook ? Press Command(Apple) + Shift + 3. This should create a screenshot of your Mac into desktop. Then goto www.wikisend.com website on your browser and upload the screenshot. Then give me the download links/File ID that you get after uploading it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, did what you said but I don't have a name for it and cant find Lunesta or Outlook so I cant send it to u

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Nancy, you just need to send me the screenshot of that email you received, no need to send me file. So I can identify the type of the card file.

Open the email/card you received in outlook. Then press Command(Apple) + Shift + 3. This will create a screenshot of your Outlook or current window into desktop. Then gotowww.wikisend.com website on your browser and upload the screenshot file from desktop. Then give me the download links/File ID that you get after uploading it. So I can view the screenshot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://wikisend.com/download/745082/Screen Shot 2013-10-14 at 1.56.05 PM.png

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Got the screenshot Nancy. First, your email provider is Outlook.com i.e Microsoft not Verizon.

If you can view the email, then you can print it. In there, press Command + P. This will open print options. In there, click on the bottom button where it says PDF. Select it and change it to Save as PDF...

see picture below;
graphic
Then click Print. Then it will ask you to save the file, so save it to desktop. Then in desktop, you can now see a PDF file. Open it and can you see your card there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can see the card but it still wont print, evidently it is a Brother problem,

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No, it is not a printer problem as long as you can print other things. Did you tried printing the PDF from desktop ?

The card you received can be printed from your Mac. The problem is, you are printing the whole web page in there instead of the card. I think the best option is to setup your email with Apple Mail client. Then you can easily print from Mail application as it isolate the emails from other unwanted stuffs which are in the browser. Also It is much easier to print from Mail than printing from browser. On your Mac, go to Applications folder and open Mail (icon with postage stamp)

If it asked to setup account, then enter the details of your email. If it didn't ask for to setup account, then click on File menu and select Add Account. Then follow the onscreen instructions to setup your account. After setting up, it will download all your emails to Mail.

Open the email with the card, click on File menu and click Print. Then adjust the settings and hit Print. Let me know how it goes Nancy. We will sort this out...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did ask for the new acct but where can I find the settings for the Outlook acct

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
For full name, enter your name

For Email Address, enter your email address (i.e your Outlook.com email ID)
For Password, enter your email's password.

Let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Huh, I need to find the email settings for outlook,

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What email settings are you referring to Nancy ? Is it asking for any incoming server, port etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, the outgoing mail server

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hmm...it is supposed to be automatic. Enter the following settings :

smtp.live.com

If asked for port, enter 587

For incoming server (if asked), enter pop3.live.com

Incoming port is 995

Did that work ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Holy cow! I gotta get outta here, its after 3. Thanks for all the help

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
We can continue later Nancy. Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me any time you want. Just post a reply here when you are free and I will get back to you ASAP.

Once you setup your email with Apple Mail, you can easily print the emails only from Mail.

FYI You can also print from Chrome too. Open Chrome and go to www.hotmail.com

Login to your email and print from there.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nancy, I've one more idea. If you can see the entire card on your Mac's screen, then you can just do a selective screenshot and print the screenshot. Press Command + Shift + 4 and this will let you to select the part of screen to save it as a file. Select the card area and hit return. This should save the card to your desktop as a picture. Open it and print it.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc