Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a 20" iMac circa 2007 and has worked terrific until

I have a 20" iMac circa 2007 and has worked terrific until recently it loses power and I have to restart. About once or twice a day. I work on this computer every day for 4 to 8 hours.
It sounds like a hardware failure but there are some things you can try.

Resetting the SMC & PRAM for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.

Then let me know if the problem persists
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your suggestion of resetting the SMC & PRAM on my iMAC did not eliminate the intermittent power shut down events. It happened again within a couple of hours of my performing the steps you recommended.

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OS X Version 10.7.5

Still sounds like it may need repair but there is one more thing we can try:

I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tried this and unit still shuts down a couple of times per day. Have not noticed any trends or certain running programs when it happens. Requires complete power reboot to get started. May be time for new MAC.

OK yes in that case it may be the power supply or someting more serious. Only a technician can tell it may be worth the price of fixing just can't say from this end. Sorry