John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

MBA comes on with just grey screen after "startup disk is full"

MBA comes on with just grey screen after "startup disk is full" message. A way to start it so can empty space?
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Had you been getting this or other errors prior to the failure to completely boot to the desktop?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The message came up yesterday and I thought I dumped a lot of files. Evidently not enough.
Thanks, Ray.

It may help to startup in safe boot mode to empty your trash and try clearing additional files, if needed.

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient).

Once at the desktop, see if you are able to empty your trash and then delete other files (remember to empty the trash again after that, as well).

If that doesn't work for you we can try something else.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this issue, please let me know. If you are positively satisfied but have not yet rated, please do so. Excellent ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Also, feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question.

I can be reached directly via the following page:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No more problems since restarting and clearing out pictures I did not realize were there. Still only 6.73 in starup disc but have nothing else to remove that I can find.
Thanks for the update, Ray. Glad to hear things are going well for you.

If you feel you need assistance in the future on clearing additional space, feel free to submit a new question to me at any time: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/