Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hi,I am having this issue with my Apple MacBookPro:"The

I am having this issue with my Apple MacBookPro:

"The virtual machine's files have been moved or deleted. If the files are on an external device, reconnect the device. You can also remove the virtual machine from the list or manually locate its files."

I tried to restore via time machine but keeps on happening this way. Can anyone help me?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mac OSX 10.8

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mac OSX 10.8.4

On your Mac, go to Macintosh HD > Users > your username > Documents folder. Can you see Parallels folder there ? If so, open it and can you see any files named windowsx.pvm file there (x is the version number)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes under Others but it is empty!

In Time Machine, can you see the windows.pvm file ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I do that?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All my system restore is on my Go Flex external hard drive

Sorry for the delays. Problem with network connection here. I will walk you through it. Open Time Machine application and choose Enter Time Machine

Now, in the time line window select the date prior to the problem. Goto Documents > Parallels folder in there and can you see the windows.pvm file there ?

Make sure to connect the external HD before opening Time Machine. In Time Machine, you can find the Enter Time Machine option in the Time Machine menu (in the top left next to Apple icon). Let me know if you have any difficulty.

Only rate the answer after we've solved the problem Manny.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not yet!!!!!

Manny, are you in Time Machine now ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried but I dont find the window.vpn. Maybe you have to do it remotely

Manny, If it is backed up then it will be there. On your Mac, goto this website :

Then download TeamViewer application and install it. Open TeamViewer and you will get username and password. Send me the ID and password (temporary password). Remember, don't send me the personal password XXXXX there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you wait for a while I am setting this team viewer

Sure..I will stay with you until we fix the problem
Hi Manny, I see that you are offline. Do you have any trouble setting it up ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am having some problem setting up team viewer

At which step do you have trouble setting it up ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Email input & password. I dont get those id & password XXXXX the team viewer to send you.

Lets try again. On your Mac, go to this link :

This will download the TeamViewer installer file. Open it and install it. Let me know once you did that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ID 402 741 345

And what is the temporary password ?

If it connects, it will show connected. My computer's name is XXXXX XXXXX AYSRAH's iMac. It will be shown there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

PW pu64r6

If it is asking for permission, please allow.
It is still showsing initiating session. Is your's showing any messages or anything ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says ready to connect. Can you initiate connection again:

402 741 345

Trying. Not sure if the servers of TeamViewer are down. Meantime I will give you the steps to try. On your Mac, open Time Machine application. In Time Machine, click on Time Machine menu and select Enter Time Machine.

This will enter to the timeline. In there, type .pvm in the searchbox (in the finder window in there.
Does it returns anything ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing seems to appear. If this is so, What is the best thing to do?

If nothing is appearing, then there is no backup saved on Time Machine. Forgot to ask, did you moved back prior to the date of problem and searched Documents > Parallels folder for the Windows8.pvm file ?

You can reinstall Windows in Parallels again, but unfortunately

The problem is, somehow the virtual machine file (i.e windows.pvm) file is deleted from your Mac. Parallels can't find it to load the Windows operating system. That is why it is showing that error.

Do you have the Windows installation disc or downloaded Windows file ? If so, we can reinstall Windows in Parallels easily.

BTW I'm unable to connect. Can you try restarting TeamViewer ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I reinstall W8 will it erase all my softwares on the previous

Sorry missed that sentence from the answer. You can reinstall Windows in Parallels again, but unfortunately all files in the old windows will not be recovered as they are lost already. The files are saved in the windows.pvm file which was already deleted from your Mac.

All files or softwares are saved on the single file windows.pvm file. That files is gone somehow from its default location.

We can try one more thing. On your Mac, search .pvm in the spotlight (searchbox in the top right corner) of the screen. Does it returns anything ?
It is not letting me connect Manny. Probably the servers or TeamViewer are down or there is some firewall blocking me.

Another way to share screen is, go to website. Click Start meeting, and install the application. Then send me the code and I will be connected. I will not be able to control, but I can guide you to the correct direction since I can watch the screen.
Manny, please close Team Viewer and abort the connection. You can trash it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there lets try this tomorrow. okay. You may be able to do it on team viewer.

Ok Manny. Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me tomorrow. Just post a reply back here and I will get back to you ASAP. I will stay with until we sort this out.

Since you are not using TeamViewer till tomorrow, please quit it or change the temporary password.

Best Regards,

Hi Manny, I'm online now. Let me know when are ready to continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Since you could not resolved the issue that I brought to you, I decided to reinstall my windows 8 on Desktop Parallel and its all working good.

Having said that I am claiming for a refund.

Hi Manny, I already answered your question. Didn't I ? The problem is, the Windows pvm (parallels file) was deleted from your Mac somehow and you didn't have the backup yet. I've tried everything I could to recover the Windows pvm file. We've searched both Time Machine and also your Mac for that file. But it was already gone from your Mac and there was no backup on Time Machine. So this was something out of our control. I put my time and efforts to help you with your problem. I really believe that I helped you to resolve your issue.

My answer is 100% correct. I already mentioned in my answer that reinstalling Windows is your only option since you don't have the backup of the file.

FYI The Windows OS file is saved on the Documents > Parallels folder. You should backup it manually.

Let me know if you still want refund. If so, I will request JA to refund as I've no control over your account.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

I already knew that my last resort was to reinstall my W8. What I was looking for an answer from you was to restore my W8 system so that it would save me time reinstalling other softwares on my system but you weren't able to deliver me such solution. therefore it just rightful to ask a refund.

Manny Like I said, you didn't have any backup to recover the softwares or windows 8. I'm not saying it is your fault, but Time Machine doesn't backup the Windows. Trust me, there was no other solution to recover them other than reinstalling the windows. If there was, I would have given to you. Manny, Please [email protected] for refund. I can't process refund as I'm not autothirzed. They will refund your account.

Best Regards,
Manny, please email to [email protected] for refund.

Have a great day,