Cris
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience:  4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.
10156100

hi Chris my iPad screen is black but there is power because

hi Chris my iPad screen is black but there is power because the light turns on even though screen is just black. I've been charging it for about an hour now. no Apple logo shows the screen is just black. there's also sound. because whenever I take out the power cord it makes the USB sound of it being connected. what can I do to get my iPad back to normal?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for contacting me directly to ask your question!

Please try to do a power reset this appears to be a glitch with the software. On your iPad hold the top button and home button down together at the same time.

Continue to hold both buttons until the iPad shuts off and the Apple logo appears, when it does let go of the buttons. Then wait about 1 minute for the device to load up.

When it loads up see if everything is working correctly. Reply back to me with the outcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris,
I've already reset my iPad several times in the manner you have directed me to. the situation is still the same. the screen lights up but still just black.
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
OK,

The only other option to try and correct your issue would be put into recovery mode the reset to factory settings. This will wipe the device then you can restore either from iCloud or from your iTunes syncing PC. This will resolve your issue as long as there is no hardware failure with your iPad.

To do the reset

Disconnect the USB cable from the iPad, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.

If you cannot turn off the device using the slider, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. When the device turns off, release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.

While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the device. The device should turn on.

Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen. When this screen appears you can release the Home button.

Open iTunes. You should see the following "recovery mode" alert:

Alert text: "iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode..."

Use iTunes to restore the device, following the steps it leads you on

You can also see the video at the website below as needed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6FSHAp6fvk

Let me know how you make out reply back to me with any further questions BEFORE selecting any negative rating. I will answer your follow ups.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well this method erase apps like nook. I have a text book saved on one of these apps. will it be erased?
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Yes it will erase the device back to factory settings. However any books you have purchased from the Nook app can be re-downloaded at no cost.

Any book you purchase remains part of your B&N account. When you re-download the app after the reset sign into the app with your account info.

You will then have immediate access to the books again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay I will try it when I get home. I'll let you know how it goes
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Excellent!

No problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris I've tried restoring my iPad 3 times already. and still the same problem persists. at the end of the restoring iTunes asks me if I want to backup my files on to the iPad or restore it to its factory settings. I've tried both options already and no luck still the same black screen though it shows on my PC that the iPad is charged 93 percent.
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to say but it appears that your problem is not software on the device but hardware.

How long have you had the iPad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One year
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
It is apparent at this time that your device has malfunction do to some hardware failure. Most likely the screen has gone bad.

Apple provides a 1-year warranty on all their devices. Your device may still be covered if your slightly over the mark. They are very good with one-time replacements.

If there is a Apple store near you. I recommend going in they will take a look at it and replace it for you. If there is no Apple store near you, you can call into Apple(NNN) NNN-NNNN.

I understand this might have not been the answer you were looking for but after trying out the solutions provided. This is the conclusion on come to on your device. I hope that you understand and don't rate my negatively for this.

If you feel you need to select a negative rating. Please reply back to me first I will answer any follow ups you may have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good news the iPad is reset and it seems to be working better now. but the screen is a little glitchy sometimes. try turning it on and the black screen came up again but then I held the top and middle button and everything's fine right after the screen was acting a little glitchy. its fine now but seems that there still might be something wrong with that
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
That is great news!

It seems like the back light is going out on your iPad. I would recommend calling Apple just in case it is still covered you can get a replacement before your out of coverage.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience: 4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any further questions for me?
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

If in the future you have any further questions please save my site profile. So you can reach me directly.

www.ITCrisAnswers.com

Let me know,
Cris