James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

I am having some pretty severe problems with my 2007 iMac.

I am having some pretty severe problems with my 2007 iMac. I rebooted with DiskWarrior and it is telling me that the new directory cannot replace the old one because of disk malfunction. It is recommending that I back up all my data from the preview disk. I back up regularly with Time Machine, should I still back up the data from the preview disk? Also, should I just turn the computer off and take it somewhere to be repaired? What do I do to turn it off without doing any more damage? Fortunately I have a new iMac that I can transfer all of my current files to. Thanks for your help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

Since you have a backup with Time Machine, the potential for actual damage or data loss is minimal.

Go ahead and shutdown the computer right now. To do this without causing further damage or performing and actions, simply push and HOLD the power button for 6 seconds.
This will shut the machine down, and abort any pending operations.

You should then take the computer to be checked - I'm pretty sure the hard drive will need to be replaced, which is not expensive.

Once that's done, you will be able be to restore your backup from Time Machine, and go on working as usual.

Hope this helps!

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience: Mac Expert