Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

I have a new Iphone 5 that I bought a month ago and I do not

Customer Question

I have a new Iphone 5 that I bought a month ago and I do not hear any sound at all when I receive a text and oftentimes miss them. Frustrating.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 11 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

Lets first try a soft reset to see if that will resolve your issue.

Press and hold both the sleep and home button at the same time until the connect to itunes logo appears. . The sleep button is located at the upper right corner and the home button is the round button on the bottom front bezel of your iPhone

Full Size Image

Michelle :

Let me know if that does not work so we can move on to the next step

Michelle :

.

Customer :

not sure as I won't know until I receive a new text ??

Michelle :

First, can you look at the left side of your phone. You will see the silent switch. Is the orange line showing?

Customer :

no

Michelle :

Have you reset your phone already as instructed? If so, go ahead and send a text to yourself. Exit message app as soon as you send the text to yourself

Customer :

should it be?

Michelle :

The orange line should not be visible. That will mean your phone is on silent mode

Customer :

yes i reset it as u instructed

Customer :

a person can text themselves?

Michelle :

Yup :) If you close the app quick enough, it will make a text noise. Create a new thread and send a text to yourseld

Michelle :

youself

Michelle :

yourself ha ha sorry for the typo

Customer :

nope no sound

Michelle :

Ok lets reset your settings. This will not delete any data. You will just need to set your wallpaper again. Go into settings<general< Choose Reset all Settings

Customer :

I am under settings, general, but there is no "reset all settings" ??

Michelle :

It should be the first option

Michelle :

Im sorry, choose Reset first

Customer :

Nope, under settings, general, the first one is About

Michelle :

It is all the way at the bottom. Then choose reset all settings which is the first option

Michelle :

Choose reset all the way at the bottom. My apologies

Customer :

okay

Customer :

It is resetting

Customer :

So I will have lost nothing in that process?

Michelle :

When it boots back up, send another text to yourself . You will not loose any data

Customer :

kay

Customer :

hang on it's almost done

Michelle :

I will stand by

Customer :

Idk I get no sound

Customer :

but when I open my phone back up

Customer :

my text is there

Customer :

ugh

Michelle :

Do you have any music on your phone?

Customer :

guess I will go up to the Apple store where I bought it and figure out what's up

Customer :

yes, music

Customer :

it plays

Customer :

only my notification of texts doesn't sound

Michelle :

Ok lets check your settings then. Can you go to settings and choose sound

Customer :

k

Michelle :

Under textone, was list listed to the right?

Customer :

it says "note"

Michelle :

Click on text tone and then tap on any sound. Does it play

Customer :

yes

Michelle :

Last thing to check is the change with buttons option. Is it turned on? It is located right underneath the volume slide bar

Customer :

yes its on

Michelle :

Lastly, go ahead and toggle your vibrate button

Customer :

I'm gonna run to the Apple Store real quick, they are open til 6

Customer :

gotta run

Customer :

thanks for trying

Michelle :

Your welcome. Try to toggle your on and off switch on your way there. Also backup your phone incase they have to replace it

Michelle :

You can backup over iCloud which is done wirelessly

Michelle :

Also, let me know if the Apple store was able to resolve your issue so I can process a refund since we were not able to find a resolution via Chat

Customer :

Hello???

Michelle :

Hi

Michelle :

Did you receive my last post?

Customer :

not sure, I've been gone with my phone

Michelle :

Did you get to the Apple Store on time?

Customer :

yup it's only 5 miles from my place

Customer :

they did a hard reset or something

Customer :

Not really sure because they took it in the back

Customer :

so I didn't see what they were doing

Customer :

but I have sound now for texts

Customer :

I had my son send me one a couple minutes ago

Customer :

and it worked !!

Michelle :

Great. I am glad you were able to get your sound back :) enjoy your phone again

Customer :

no kidding

Customer :

frustrating because I have only had it a month

Michelle :

Did you update to iOS7?

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.