Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hello. I have a new MacBook Pro and want to back up files onto

Hello. I have a new MacBook Pro and want to back up files onto my Maxtor OneTouch II, but its permissions are "read only." I assume this is because I originally had it connected to a different Mac? Anyway, how can I change the permission on my Maxtor to allow copying?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have any files on Maxtor ? Should we erase it and do a fresh backup ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have files there. Yes, I suppose they could be erased.

Melinda, since you want to backup your new files it'd better to start afresh. We can reformat it with Disk Utility and that will erase everything from it as well as fix the permission issue. If you have any important files on the drive, then you can copy them to your Mac first. Then after formatting/erasing it, you can move them back to it.

On your Mac, go to Applications > Utilities folder. Open Disk Utility application. In Disk Utility, select your external hard drive. Then under Erase tab, hit Erase. Make sure Mac OS X Journaled is selected in there. That's it. Once it is finished, you can start backing up your files to it.

I'd recommend to backup using Time Machine application.

If you have any questions or need any help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've never used Time Machine. Is it pretty intuitive?

Yep, The main advantage of Time Machine is, it will backup your files automatically and regularly (at selected intervals). It will even backup your entire Mac. As the name indicates, if you lost any files, you can travel back in time and restore any version of your file.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. I copied over my files. Now in Disk Utility, on the left, there's an icon and listing for 100.26 GB Maxtor OneTouch, and underneath that, indented, there's an icon and a listing for "my backup", which is the name I gave it. Which one do I select to erase?

The main one, i.e 100.26 GB Maxtor OneTouch
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great. It's all working as you said. Thanks you! One more question . . . kind of unrelated . . . :0) Periodically, lately, perhaps on account of hooking up my back up drive . . . the icons on my desktop are flickering on and off . . . the magnifying glass for searching . . . date/time, etc. Sometimes they're there, sometimes not. Any advice?

hmm, that is strange. We can try some basic troubleshooting steps. Open Disk Utility, in Disk Utility select your hard disk Macintosh HD in left column. Then click Repair Permission. After that, click Verify Disk. If the result is red, then click Repair Disk.

Let me know if that didn't work.
Melinda, if that doesn't work then we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac (clean temporary memory). Follow the steps below

1. Turn off your Mac
  2. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  3. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  4. Release the keys and the let the Mac boot up to desktop

Add a bookmark of this page before restarting your Mac. So we won't lose our connection. You can get back to me via the bookmark.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I already tried resetting the PRAM yesterday. Thanks.

Does it still happens now ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, it seems to have settled down. Thanks.

I'm glad to hear that Melinda. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively.

Have a great day,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, Ashik.

You're most welcome Melinda. And don't forget to rate me Positively (Excellent Service), so that I will get credit for helping you.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,