Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.

I updated my iphone t ios7 and now I cant use my ipad because

Customer Question

I updated my iphone t ios7 and now I can't use my ipad because I do not know the passcode to get in. It show that it is disabled if I try . I also lost all that I had on my desktop on my phone that I use to have. Example: Google
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

Since your iPad is now disabled. You will need to restore your iPad via iTunes by placing it into recovery mode (Which I will walk you through) do you have a backup ?

Michelle :

.

Customer :

I have my iphone. Would that be a backup?

Michelle :

If you are backing up to iCloud, you can use the same backup

Michelle :

Are you using iCloud?

Customer :

I don't know how to use icloud. I thought i was using itunes.

Michelle :

iCloud is the best way. On your iPhone, go into Settings and then choose iCloud

Customer :

I also found some instructions on Safari.

Customer :

settins icon was one of the ones I lost on my iphone desktop> How do I get to settings?

Michelle :

Is your iphone running IOS 7 too>

Customer :

yes.

Michelle :

To get the search box, pull down on the screen and search for settings

Customer :

I have settings now

Michelle :

Click on iCloud

Michelle :

You should have the options to either sign in or you should be signed in already

Customer :

ok

Michelle :

Are you signed in already?

Customer :

I must be signed in.

Michelle :

Scroll down to storage and backup

Customer :

ok

Michelle :

All the way at the bottom under backup now, when was the last backup?

Customer :

It says backup is off.

Michelle :

Turn backup on and choose backup now

Customer :

it is backing up 4 more min.

Michelle :

Okay, I will stand by

Customer :

now it says 10 min. it keeps adding minutes

Michelle :

It should give you a more accurate time in a few

Michelle :

10 mins sounds accurate

Customer :

it keeps adding time. now 15 min.

Michelle :

It has a mind of its own :) it normally depends on your internet connectivity. Also, since it is the first backup, it will take longer than usual. While that is backing up, we can actually start to restore your iPad

Michelle :

Is it still connected into iTunes

Customer :

do you mean is my ipad connected to itunes?

Michelle :

Yes

Customer :

how do I connect it to itunes?

Michelle :

Connect your iPad using the white charging cable that came with your iPad

Customer :

do I then connect it to my compter?

Michelle :

Yes. One end should be connected to the iPad and the other end will go into the USB port on your computer

Customer :

ok

Michelle :

Now open itunes on your computer if it is not connected yet

Customer :

How do I do that while I am talking with you?

Michelle :

iTunes is an application on your computer so you can run multiple applications at the time. Keep this window open so you can go back and fourth

Michelle :

Were you able to open iTunes>

Customer :

I am downloading a new version of itunes

Michelle :

Okay, let me know when it is done

Customer :

the backup is finished

Michelle :

Good. Now lets wait for iTunes

Customer :

w do I t itunes back on my compute screen?

Michelle :

Next, Press and hold both the sleep and home button at the same time until the connect to itunes logo appears. Continue to hold when you see the apple logo. The sleep button is located at the upper right corner and the home button is the round button on the bottom front bezel of your iPad

Customer :

I know I am dumb, but where is the sleep button?

Michelle :

No your not! The sleep button is the one in the upper right corner

Michelle :

The button that puts your display to sleep or off

Customer :

is it the pause/brea button?

Michelle :

Here is the illustration

Full Size Image

Michelle :

Did you see the illustration?

Customer :

I did. That's an ipad right? I can't open my ipad. I have to have a passcode which I don't have.

Michelle :

Yes, which is why we need to restore it back to factory settings. In order to do so your ipad needs to be in recovery mode. To get your iPad into recovery mode, you will need to press and hold both buttons for 45 secs

Customer :

I can't do that on the ipad if I can't open it. When I slide it to open it , then it shows a keyboard of numbers to enter a passcode to get into it. I don't have a passcode.

Michelle :

Please follow my instructions. You do not need to press any buttons expect the exterior buttons. No need to slide to unlock. Press and hold the button in the upper right corner and the home button at the same time for 45 secs

Michelle :

Full Size Image

Michelle :

If you are familiar with the on/off switch, the sleep and the on/off switch are the same buttons

Michelle :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Got it!

Michelle :

Yay! Now in itunes on your computer, does it say that your ipad is in recovery mode?

Customer :

How long will this take? I am running out of time I can work on this. Sorry. Will this put things right with my ipad so I can use it.? Do I need to set up a passcode touse from now on?

Michelle :

The restore will take about 20 mins. Once it is done, you will need to set up your ipad again like you did when you upgraded. It will also ask you if you wish to set up a passcode again. Choose Do not set a passcode. You will see it in the center of the screen in blue text.

Michelle :

It will also ask if you wish to restore from iCloud backup, choose yes and enter your iTunes username and password. And then your will be all set.

Customer :

You have been a great help! Thanks so much. If I run into trouble in the next 24 hrs. can I get back to you?

Michelle :

You are very welcome. Yes, do ahead and bookmark this chat. You can also click on the link within your inbox. Do you know how to bookmark this page?

Customer :

No

Michelle :

Are you using internet explorer, google chrome or firefox?

Customer :

internet explorer

Michelle :

There should be a star in the upper right corner. Do you see it

Michelle :

Next to the house icon

Customer :

On the computer screen? No

Michelle :

Within internet explore. To the right or search bar

Michelle :

Full Size Image

Michelle :

If you still can not find the star, Use the link in your email from Just Answer

Customer :

ok

Michelle :

I will chat with you tomorrow

Customer :

Thanks so much.

Michelle :

You are very welcome

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Michelle nothing worked out after I left you. I updated otunes but my ipad could not be restored because I have Windows XP. I tried to update that with an update package but that was not sucessful either. I can't get my ipad to come on at all anymore. I am very discoraged that all of this has happened sinceI updated to ios7. I wish that I had not updated at all. I find that others have had similar problems with this update.

Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
Hi Nancy, I am so sorry you are having difficulty since updating to IOS7. In fact, you are not alone since many others reported having issues since the upgrade. First lets work on getting your iPad on. Press and hold the on/off button until the apple logo appears. The on/off button is the button the is located in the upper right top corner
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
Were you able to power your iPad back on. If not, connect it to power and press on hold the home button
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I waited for your eply and finally gave up on it. I see that it finally came through, but I have a meeting in 20 minutes and can work this out. This has been very difficult. My ipad won't come on at all now. I will try to contect you agan around lunchtime tomorrow. I know others have even lost everything on their iphones because of this update. I would think Apple should take some responsibility in these problems. I will try again.

Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
I sent my reply almost immediately. I'm not sure why it was delayed. It is 6:37 Eastern time so I am not sure when your lunch ends. But connect your iPad to the wall using the charger that came with it. Then Press and hold the home button for about 40 secs. The home button is the round button at the bottom. Also, you mentioned your iPad could not be restored because you have windows XP. iTunes does work on windows. Did you receive an error message? If so what was it. Keep me posted
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have my iPad on charge now. iTunes is shown as a icon with picture of the charger plug. When I tried to update my computer as they suggested I was not successful and error 4005 as the problem.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
Hello Nancy,
That restore error code can be related to issues with iTunes on your computer. Do you have access to another computer that has iTunes on it or that you can install iTunes?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have this iPhone to use.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
The only way to restore your iPad is through a computer. Do you have a computer at work that you can use? If not, you may need to re-install iTunes again.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not have another computer available. Do you mean reinstall on my computer? How do I do this?
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

Yes, re-install itunes on your computer. First close itunes and disconnect your iPad. Click on this link to download itunes. http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do I get the 32 bit or the 64 bit download?
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
64 Bit Download
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It says in order to download iTunes I must allow Optimizer Pro to first scan my computer. Should I allow this?
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
Yes. Allow
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is getting to be refi villus. Now it is prompting me to allow Microsoft Pinpoint. Boost Software. I do not want to sign on for all if this to download iTunes.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

Where are you seeing these prompts? close the window and try to download again http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will try again.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
Ok I will stand by
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Now it is prompting me to use iLivid to download. Why can't I just download from iTunes?
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

I am not sure what is going on on your end. Instead of using my links. Open a new window and type in apple.com/itunes There will be a blue Download Now button on the left side

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will have to try later since I have an appointment coming in. I will contact you as soon as I have reinstalled iTunes.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Talk to you later
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have reinstalled iTunes on my computer and have my iPad connected for about 8 minutes. I don't see any indication that anything is happening. There is the iTunes icon on my iPad screen and a picture of a charger plug plus and arrow pointing to the iTunes icon.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
In the upper right corner within iTunes , you will see "devices" if you do not see devices, disconnect and then re-connect your iPad. iTunes should inform you that your iPad is in recovery mode and then will prompt a restore. Click on restore
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
Let me know if "devices" is not visible. Also, after disconnecting and reconnecting, let me know if iTunes prompts a restore
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The only place devices is visible is under the File column. I have not been printed at all.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

If you choose Devices under the file column, are the options grayed out? Also here is an illustration on where you should be looking for devices in the upper right corner.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can not find the device on my iTunes. I have everything else across the top but the device. The iPad is still not connecting. I have tried many times.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.

It sounds like iTunes is not recognizing your iPad yet. You will need to place your iPad into recovery mode again. Follow these steps..

1. Disconnect iPad

2. Power off iPad. (Press the button at the top right corner)

3. Press and hold the home button for 5 secs. While still holding down the home button, connect your iPad back into your computer. Make sure you are still holding down the home button when you connect your iPad back into your computer. Continue to hold the home button until you see the connect to itunes icon. The home button is the round button at the bottom.

Here is a one minute video for illustration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A01Vx0TXANk

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did each of those and I googled that YouTube website but could not pull it up.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
Earlier you were able to initiate the restore but it failed. Now you are unable to even initiate the restore? There must be something going on with your computer. Try this next. Disconnect your ipad from your computer. Then restart your computer. Once your computer boots back up again. Connect your ipad into your computer and open itunes. (iTunes should automatically open)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will get back with you when I have done this.
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
OK. Nancy. Talk to you soon
Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
Hi Nancy,
I wanted to follow up with you to see if your iPad showed up in iTunes after you restarted your computer. I will be online until 10pm EST tonight and will resume online on Monday. Talk to you soon
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Michelle, I have done all that you have instructed me to do with no success. I am sorry that this hasn't worked, but I have decided to get an expert to help me with these problems because it is very difficult for me to get work done when I keep taking so much time on line trying to get something resolved.

Nancy Burnett

Expert:  Michelle replied 9 months ago.
Hi Nancy,

I totally understand and hope you will resolve your issue with external assistance. Thank you so much for your patience and I apologize that we were not able to resolve your issue via chat. All the best