John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Ive just purchased a Seagate Wireless Plus for my Mac. I

I've just purchased a Seagate Wireless Plus for my Mac.
I now understand that the firmware needs to be upgraded to 2.1 and then to 2.2 before it can be used.
The instructions tell me that I should plug the device into the Mac via the supplied USB and then drag and drop the upgrade (after downloading it!) onto the device.
Problem is, I can't see the device on my Mac........
Your help please!
Thank you
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Version 10.8.5

Thanks.

Connect your external hard drive.

In the Finder, click the Go item in the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Choose Computer from the list.

In the new Finder window that opens you should see the connected external hard drive

If you double click it then you should be able to copy the firmware files to the drive as required.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks John

I've attempted to do what you have suggested, however, I still do not 'see' the device listed.

Hope you can assist.

As I'm in Australia, I need to go to bed soon as I usually get up quite early.

It would be good if you're able to provide me with your response sometime over the next 9-10 hours so I can attend to it (my) tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Okay, David.

Let's establish if the device is even being seen.

Choose Utilities from the list.

In the new Finder window that opens, locate Disk Utility and run it.

In Disk Utility, there should be a sidebar at the left. It will list your internal hard drive and volume (usually Macintosh HD), any CD/DVD drives, and then it should list the external drive somewhere below that. Is it listed?

Also, can you give me the model number of your drive? It should be somewhere on the drive or the original box.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for responding.

I've run the Disk Utility, but the device is not shown (although the Mac HD is shown).

The model number of the drive is: 1AYBA2 (followed by: MAC 00107546A98F)

The part number of the drive is: 1FBP1-500

Thanks, David.

Is the external drive connected directly to a USB port on the Mac and does it seem to have power?

Do you have access to another computer where you can test this drive is functioning properly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

First question - connected to the MacBook Pro's USB and the device does have power

Second question - the device doesn't show on an iMac either

With the drive connected;

click the Apple logo in the top left of the menu bar

Choose About This Mac

Select "More Info"

Select "System Report"

Select "USB" in the sidebar at the left of the new window.

Can you identify a device there that might be the Seagate?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, no

I would recommend next trying a different USB cable.

If the device still doesn't show up then I'm afraid the answer would be that it is a hardware defect (in the external hard drive) and should be replaced.

Even if the Mac doesn't recognize what the device is, it should still be listed as connected in some way if there is any communication going on.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help John.

An alternative USB cable didn't work either.........

In your experience, is Seagate a reliable brand?

I purchased this in order to provide additional wireless storage for my iPad - do you low of an alternative, reliable product - perhaps this request is beyond your brief, nevertheless, I'd appreciate receiving any comment you may have.

Really I find quality to be about the same across all major brands. It more or less comes down to price and features. Just make sure they list Mac compatibility though almost all are supported.