John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Problem: In writing or reading emails, I somehow stretched

Problem: In writing or reading emails, I somehow stretched out my desktop so that I cannot view it all at once anymore. The dock is way down and the top row of icons are hid way out of sight on top and the sides are also hidden. I can only view one or parts of two sides at one time. How do I get my desktop back to normal?

Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mac OS X version 10.6.8

Thanks, Esther.

Due to the version you have installed, I'm going to need one more bit of info on the same window. Can you tell me what it lists for "Processor"?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by what it lists for "processor"?

No problem.

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Processor" information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Thanks, Esther!

Does this issue ONLY effect reading/writing emails and are you using the Apple Mail app?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, my desktop is now never shows the routine complete view of menu bar on the top and the dock on the bottom and also the left and ride sides of the desk top window do not appear at the same time. I have to keep moving the mouse to each side or up and down to view all the icons on the desk top. Sorry, I can't seem to explain it more precisely. It just that the all the usual icons on the desk top do not appear at the same time, as they have for at least the last 20 years. This is a new problem that won't go away.

Okay, I think I understand the problem you are having and it's related to an Accessibility feature that was probably activated accidently.

Please try pressing the following keys at the same time;

The screen should return to it's normal size.

If that doesn't work, then let me know.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

command option 8 does not work. I just tried this again and got no results. I had already tried this option before I got online to Just Answer.Mac. A friend told me about it, and it did not solve the problem so I contacted you. Hope you can still solve this problem. Thanks

I'm sorry to hear that Esther, but I'm sure we can find a solution for you.

Next try pressing these three keys; Command, Option, - (hyphen)

You may need to press them more than once to shrink the screen.

If that does not work;

Click the Apple logo in the top left of the screen.

Choose System Preferences

Select "Universal Access"

Make sure ZOOM is turned OFF.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry John, but my screen still does not shrink. I've tried each thing that you have suggested. What a crazy problem.

Something weird just happened this minute. As I was about to send you this message, the screen shrunk down to normal, and as I was about to erase this message, the screen zoomed out larger than ever. Some windows get popping up each time I clicked the mouse on the words I was about to type, and I could not get rid of these scroll down windows. What now?

Yes, this is indeed rather odd. Was Zoom already turned OFF?

Restart the Mac

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys;

Hold them until you hear the chime a second time and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally.

Is there any improvement?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I keep checking the zoom. It is on OFF

I'll do the process as you instructed

If that doesn't work, can you please tell me if any other devices are connected to the iMac?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John, you have solved my problem!!!! My screen is back to normal!!!

If this happens again, do I just follow all your instructions again?

thanks a lot, Esther

You are very welcome!

If it happens again, follow the last procedure I gave you and hopefully it will solve it once more.

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again for your help, John. I am 81 years old but still play with my computer, mostly photoshop and emails. And of course some online.

I was glad to help and glad we got it resolved.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Hopefully, the issue won't trouble you again but if it does I'm available for a few hours virtually every day.