Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hello Daniel, My photos disappeared from my iPhoto. Can you

Hello Daniel,
My photos disappeared from my iPhoto. Can you help me find them? I have over 25,000 photos that have gone missing. Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Daniel is not online now. If this is urgent or if you want my help, please let me know.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hello Ashik,

I'm online now....

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Hi Candace, How did you lost them ? Can you tell me what exactly happend ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It's strange, I really don't know. But it could have been possibly when I updated iPhoto. I remember iPhoto closed down. And I couldn't reopned it. So, I restarted the computer. My iPhoto opened then, but there were no photos.

I do have an iPhoto Library alias on my desktop, but it's empty and I didn't put it there.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Go to Macintosh HD > Users > your user name > Pictures folder and can you see iPhoto Library there ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry, where is the Macintosh HD?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Macintosh HD is your hard disk. You can find it in the desktop or in the finder.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Okay, sorry, yes, looking now.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Did you found it ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Oh sorry, I thought I replied already. hold please...

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
I didn't get it Candace. Could you please post it again?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I responded again with a long response. I hit "reply to expert". It is again, not coming up. Could you find out what's going on on your end?

I'm sorry, I have to get the kids ready for school now.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Not sure Candace. I have no control over this site. I can only answer questions here. It might be a glitch. Try again, this time copy the text before sending to me so if it lost, you can paste it back and send again.

Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me later. I will be here for the next 5 hours
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

okay, real quick then, i'll try one more time...i opened Candace then went to pictures, opened iPhoto Library New, then it asked it I want to relaunch and switch libraries. I said relaunch. It opened with the same library. Just my new photos from recent. Not the library with the 25,000 photos and many albums that I made.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
How many libraries can you see in the Pictures folder ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

just one

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Candace, it seems like somehow your old iPhoto Library is deleted from your Mac. On Spotlight (searchbox in the top), search jpg and hit return. Does it shows any pictures ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
When you enter jpg in Spotlight, does it returns your pictures (in Search result) ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

it only shows the photos on my desktop

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Select Show All in there and does it still shows the photos in the desktop ?

Do you have an backup of your iPhoto Library ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

i do have a backup for the iphoto library.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Cm you copy it to your Mac and open it directly ? To switch library hold down Option key while opening iPhoto
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Candace, restore the backup your iPhoto Library to your Pictures folder, hold down Option key on your keyboard and open iPhoto. Select choose library, then locate and select your restored/backup library. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Oh my gosh, it did. You are genius. Okay, so how do I put my new iPhoto library and my old iPhoto library together?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Glad to hear that Candace. First create a folder on your deskyop. Then open iPhoto abd Switch to the new library, in new library select all the photos and click and drag them to the folder in the desktop. Then open iPhoto and switch to your old library. Then reimport the photos back to your iPhoto from the fodder in desktop.

And I apologize for the delayed response. I'm on my way to my college, so I'm replying from my phone. Let me know how it goes Candace.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
You can also use this third party application named iPhoto Library Manager to merge the two libraries. Get it from here : www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Download and open iPhoto Library Manager, click on File menu and select Merge. Then follow onscreen instructions.

Also I'd recommend to keep backing up your iPhoto Library. Without backup, it is very hard to recover the lost photos.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you, Ashik! I will try this tomorrow morning...thank you again for helping me! I will give you a 5 smile rating when I finish tomorrow. Good luck at college!!

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Candace. If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask as I'm always glad to help you.

Take Care,
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Hi Candace, Just checking. How is it going ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,