John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

The screen is frozen on MacBook air. Grey screen, apple logo

The screen is frozen on MacBook air. Grey screen, apple logo and active circle indicating trying to find something. Have tried rebooting, opens in the same situation. Better half thinks she clicked a two faces icon and this was the result.

Neil c
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Do you know which version of OS X you have installed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No- bought computer for wife 12 Mo ago. as far as I know osx and in addition, virtual windows. Obviously cannot access to interrogate the computer.

Thanks, Neil.

Try the following and then we'll move on to something else if it doesn't work.

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, press the “OPTION” key at boot and select the “Recovery" HD option in the menu. (If that doesn't work after trying twice, restart and try hlding COMMAND + R + OPT until you see the Internet Recovery logo.)

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO RE-INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

If not;

Restart the Mac

As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys;

Hold them until you hear the chime a second time and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally.

If no improvement;

Shut down the Mac.

Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the Mac.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. When you are satisfied, please give my answers a positive rating. You are judging my personal service only (not this website or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Encountered a stumbling block. I have a netgear Wi-Fi and the mac is asking me to select network . when I enter the password XXXXX just goes back to the beginning. My son,( everybody has one) set the network up and it has worked seamlessly till now. I will keep trying to work around, but with the mac I cannot plug directly into modem, no USB ports. I may go quiet until this evening, he started a new job today so best not hassled by family.

If you have a Wi-Fi solution let me know.

Ok that's perfectly fine.

Was it asking for password XXXXX using the OPTION key or the alternative?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The alternative, but have moved on. after 30 minute tried the option key and the sequence followed as advised.

got to Repair disc and got this response.

Disc utility cannot repair this disc. Backup, reformat and restore.

Oh Dear!!!!

Ok that is problematic. Do you keep back ups?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, but I think this is getting bigger than BEN HUR. I am not keen on reformatting and reinstalling with both OSCX and Windows on the machine. It is one of the windows programmes that is critical and that is fully backed up. I do not know what my son has done on the cloud but I had better start to learn. I have checked with purchase and have 9 days left on the warranty. I feel like taking it to apple and saying "fix it"

Am I giving in too soon?

Honestly that may really depend. How is Windows installed? Inside a virtual machine or via BootCamp?

Also, if this is a hardware issue then it should be covered under warranty but software would not.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi John,
A final report to fill in the gaps. Took it to the apple tech's an d there was no fix. Reformatted and reinstalled to rebuild thanks for guidance.
Thanks for the update, Neil.

That's pretty much the direction it looked to be heading.

Thanks again,