Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

my pop up 3 wont accept my password

my pop up 3 wont accept my password
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
Sorry can you clarify what is this password XXXXX?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Tit pops up when i try to access my e mail inbox, it has asked forthis

in the past and when i type in my password, that is it, and i get my

e mails. This just began yesterday and I am expecting an important

e-mail this am. I am administrator of thiscomputer and nothing has

changedsince I began using it several years ago. The pop up says,

the pop up server "pop3frontier.com" rejected the password XXXXX user

"XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX"

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
I am unfamiliar with frontier.com do you access this email through Safari or another application?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

;I have a macbook pro and access thru safari

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

version 10.4.11

processor 2.33GHz Intel Core2 Duo

Memory: 3GB 667 MHZ DDR2SDRAM

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
Put the current operating system disk (the one that came with your Mac unless you have upgraded) in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language and when you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Verify Disk if OK also repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair, if Repair completes then Repair Permissions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I do not have a disk--my grandson gave me this computer and set it

up for me, but didn't leave a disk here. Guess he didn't think I would need it with my limited computer knowledge!! I am 85 yrs and all I use

it for is e mail, that is why this is important to me. Any other options?

Grandson lives 3,000 mi away, so no help there.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
Yes restart the computer while holding the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo it will attempt repairs. if you get to the logon screen, login with your password XXXXX then restart the normal way. Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I tried the aboveI twice, no luck. They asked for password, I did that and then tried to restart again. When I tried to get mail,I get the same old

message.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
OK I suggest you try using the Mail program. The icon looks like a postage stamp in the Dock. When it opens it will ask for your email address and password XXXXX should auto setup your account. Let me know
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

it sets up automatically without my passord or user name. I have it on

the screen now, and tried"Get Mail",same diaglogue box appears

askingfor password,

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
Ok then someone must have already set it up, that could be your computer password XXXXX your email password XXXXX both.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Yes, my grandson set it all up at the time I received the computer from

him and he said I would need only one password, and I wrote it down

and know what it is, so I am using correct password XXXXX they ask.I

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
There are two passwords one would be for your computer and the other for your email account. Do you know both?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

it could be one that i see dimmed out, that is my grandsons name. I have a question: do i need a pop account, what is it for, maybe i can just

eliminate it, in order to get my e mails?? foolish question, but am

asking anyway, as i am really anxious to access my e mail account today

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
No POP is the type of email account you must have. So the Mail program did not work? Do you know your email password?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

yes, i have used that password XXXXX times in the past in this situation where they asked for pop3 password, and it has always been accepted until last nite.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
Do you have anohter web browser like Firefox?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

no. the problem started yesterday, right after I had contacted apple

store to convert my 10.4 to 10.5 on safari. they sent me an e mail, and

since then no more e mails. as the problem is apparently the password

and user word, i think i will get in touch with my grandson and see what

he knows. can i keep this open until i talk to him

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
Ok but you would need a 10.5 system install disk to upgrade the computer. It could not be done over the internet. Maybe talk to your grandson and let me know
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

i will do that. I just now deleted the two e mails that i received yesterday

from the apple store, and presto!! it is fixed. However, I do wish to pay

the 68.00 because you have been trying to help me all day and I do

appreciate that. You answered several other questions for me, a complete computer novice, and I appreciate it!

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.
OK great that is very strange, thank you!!
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.