David Ruck
David Ruck, Professional Video Editor
Experience:  8+ years Final Cut Studio /// expertise in Final Cut Pro, Compressor, Motion, Soundtrack Pro
28139799

hello, i have a macbookpro and it just wont turn on. the white

hello, i have a macbookpro and it just wont turn on. the white screen with the apple and the progress bar comes up and then it just shuts off. i tried several things and one of the analysis that were made comes this message " volume of macbook HD could not be repaired. Please help !!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

David Ruck :

Hello. Hopefully I can help you resolve this issue. If you have already tried to start up repeatedly without success, and you have started from the install disk and run Disk Utility without successfully repairing the disk, then let's try to "Safe Boot." Try safe boot, start again, but this time when you press the power button, hold down Shift, Command, and V.

Customer:

ok. i tried this, but when should i stop pressing those keys, since when i did it before the black screen showed up and then the "V" started being typed.

Customer:

hello... are u there?

David Ruck :

Try just holding down the "shift" key until the spinning wheel appears.

Customer:

ok. thanks

Customer:

hold on

Customer:

it doesnt work. i press the on button and press shift until the spinning wheel appears. the progress bar appears and it shuts off

Customer:

any other way ?

Customer:

are u there?

David Ruck :

If that's not working and you already tried to repair the disk with disk utility, let's try starting up in single user mode. Power on the computer while holding down "Command" and "s".

Customer:

done

Customer:

now?

David Ruck :

It that didn't work and you already tried to repair the disk with disk utility, let's try to start up in single user mode. When you press the power button, hold down the "command" and "s" keys.

David Ruck :

A command line prompt on a black screen should appear.

Customer:

yep

David Ruck :

Once you are there type in "fsck -fy" and hit the "return" key.

David Ruck :

After that, you'll usually have to wait a few minutes while you hard disk is running through some tests.

David Ruck :

Let me know if any messages appear on your screen.

Customer:

it appears "the volume macintosh hd could not be repaired"

Customer:

Missing directory record (id = 13641422)

Customer:

thats it

David Ruck :

Okay, then let's do a hardware test. Type in "reboot" and hit the "return" key. On startup, hold down the "d" key to initiate the hardware test.

David Ruck :

Let me know what message appears on the screen after the hardware test is complete.

Customer:

ok. its testing

Customer:

its taking a long time and the progress bar doesnt move

Customer:

is this normal?

David Ruck :

Yes. Unfortunately, it can take some time.

Customer:

ohh ok just checking thanks

Customer:

still in progress

Customer:

is it still normal that the progress bar doesnt move?

David Ruck :

It may not move for a while until it gets past it's current test that it's working on, then it should jump up a little bit more. Also, as it checks the hard drive, the larger the hard drive capacity, the longer it will take to test. It could site there stationary for a little while, but I wouldn't worry.

Customer:

ok...thanks....so we wait...

David Ruck :

If the hardware test comes back with no trouble found, most likely there are some damaged sectors on the hard disk causing damage to key components of your operating system. If that's the case, the next thing to try would be to start the computer in target disk mode (basically turning it into an external hard drive).

David Ruck :

Do you have another Mac standing by as well as a firewire cable that could be used to tether the two computers?

Customer:

nope, i dont.....sigh

Customer:

i have iphone, ipod and macbook pro. thats it

David Ruck :

Do you have a PC at your disposal?

Customer:

yes, the one im using right now

David Ruck :

Does it have firewire?

Customer:

im sorry, i dont know what that is

Customer:

is that a cable?

David Ruck :

It is a cable type. This is what the connectors will look like. http://linuxologist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/firewire-ports.png

Customer: Sorry. I got disconnected.
David Ruck :

No problem. I'm still standing by. Any progress, or are we still waiting?

Customer: We are still waiting.
Customer: I think it froze or
Customer: something cause not even the cursor moves
David Ruck :

I'm under the assumption that you don't just want the computer to start up. Do you have precious files that we are trying to make sure are saved?

Customer: Yes !!!!!!
Customer: So obvious huh ?
David Ruck :

Assuming the hardware test comes back with no trouble found, I would recommend connecting to the computer while it's in target disk mode as I mentioned earlier.

David Ruck :

You would need a firewire port on each computer as well as the appropriate firewire cable.

David Ruck :

This can even be done from a PC, however, you would need to purchase the software Mac Drive so that the PC could read the HFS+ hard drive format on the Mac.

David Ruck :

Again, here is what the firewire ports will look like so you can figure out if you PC has one.

David Ruck :

http://linuxologist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/firewire-ports.png

Customer:

sorry, my internet just shut off

Customer:

i dont think my pc has that port

Customer:

i just looked for it, and it doesnt

David Ruck :

Do you have an Apple Store nearby that you can take you Macbook Pro to? They can connect to it in target disk mode and may be able to transfer off any files still intact to another hard drive.

David Ruck :

Otherwise, if you know anyone that is willing to let you borrow a Mac for a day...

Customer:

mmmmm, the apple store is not an option. i do have an external hard drive

David Ruck :

Is the screen still locked? Have you shut it down?

Customer:

screen is still locked

David Ruck :

If you have shut it down, press the "t" key and hold it down then start the computer. Do not let go of the "t" key until you see a firewire symbol appear.

Customer:

do u want me to shut it down?

David Ruck :

If it's still locked at this point, I don't think it's getting unlocked on it's own. Shut it down.

Customer:

ok

David Ruck :

As I mentioned above, try startup while holding "t" and let's see if it will go into target disk mode.

Customer:

a "lightning" symbol and a "Y" look alike came our

Customer:

out

Customer:

on a grey screen

David Ruck :

That weird "Y" is the symbol for firewire.

Customer:

and its still there

David Ruck :

Your computer is now in target disk mode.

Customer:

ahaaa!!!

Customer:

ok

David Ruck :

Basically, your computer is a big external hard drive right now until you shut it down.

Customer:

ok

David Ruck :

This is going to be your best odds of recovering data on your hard drive.

Customer:

but i still need another mac right?

Customer:

or can i use my external hard drive?

David Ruck :

As I mentioned above, it needs to be by firewire, so another Mac would be ideal, but a PC with a firewire connection will do as long as it has the Mac Drive software installed.

David Ruck :

You need more than an external hard drive.

David Ruck :

Basically, your computer is an external hard drive now, so it's like connecting an external hard drive to an external hard drive. Nothing will happen.

David Ruck :

You really do need a computer to facilitate the data transfer (assuming there is data left on the drive to transfer).

Customer:

ahh ok. when i get the software cant i use a USB cable?

Customer:

i just found the firewire slot in my pc

David Ruck :

Unfortunately not. Target disk mode can be done only through firewire or thunderbolt.

Customer:

its very small

David Ruck :

Great!

Customer:

so i only need to buy the cable then

David Ruck :

Have you identified a firewire port on your mac based on the picture that I sent you?

David Ruck :

Which ports do you have on each computer?

Customer:

the mac has the 9 circuit connector and the pc has the4 circuit connector

David Ruck :

Here is the cable that will do the trick.

David Ruck :

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10301&cs_id=1030104&p_id=3541&seq=1&format=2

Customer:

ok....

David Ruck :

If you do decide to by some, especially if you have to order from a long ways a way, I would highly recommend buying 2 so if one in dead on arrival, you have a backup.

Customer:

ok

David Ruck :

This is the Mac Drive software that I mentioned before.

David Ruck :

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

Customer:

do u think i can recover all my files with this?

Customer:

it says there is a free trial, do u think i need to buy it or can i do the trick with the free trial

David Ruck :

As long as the hard drive is not damaged physically inside, and as long as the sectors on the drive aren't damaged with your files, I'd say you have a good chance of recovering your data. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell until you tether the computers with your Mac in target disk mode.

David Ruck :

I don't know the terms of the free trial, but even if you can't transfer all of your files without purchasing the software, you should still be able to see if there's anything to transfer without purchasing the software, so I would definitely hold off for now.

Customer:

after i have everything, what should i do? can i come back to you?

David Ruck :

If target disk doesn't recover your data from the hard drive the only other option in data recovery that I know of would be to send the drive to a data recovery service. These types of services can run over $1000 at times, so let's keep our fingers crossed that target disk will work.

Customer:

a friend just texted me about somethig called "disk Warrior" do you know what that is?

David Ruck :

I'm not sure that it will be necessary for you to come back. As long as you put your mac into target disk mode (starting will holding down "t") and install the Mac Drive software on your PC, you should be in great shape. Your Mac's hard drive will show up as if it were an external hard drive (again, assuming it's not damages beyond recognition). At that point, transfer and backup as fast as you can!!!

David Ruck :

I love Disk Warrior!

David Ruck :

I would have recommended this to you if you had another Mac at your disposal.

David Ruck :

I've seen it work miracles in hard drive repair, but it only runs on a Mac.

Customer:

mmmmm ok. i dont think i can get one

Customer:

thats too bad

Customer:

all my friends and family have PCs

David Ruck :

Well, I hope I've answered all of your questions. I know you really want your system up and running right now, and we're not there yet, but we are certainly on the road to recovery. I really hope this works out for you. Believe me, I've been there before. If after all of this the hard drive is not recognizable, it's either time to fork out the big bucks and send it in to a data recovery service, or throw in the towel, format the drive, and do a clean install of the operating system. Probably makes you feel sick to your stomach to even think, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

David Ruck :

Even though the issue is not totally resolved yet, it's been a pleasure to assist you, and I wish you the best.

Customer:

ok. and just one more question. why did this happened? i really dont know what i did for it to happen and i just want to make sure im not doing something that made this computer crash

Customer:

thank you for everything. you helped a lot!!!

David Ruck :

The hard drive may just have been old, it may have been a defective drive (if it failed within a few months), dropping the computer can damage the drive. So many possibilities.

Customer:

ohhh ok. the computer is one year old, and i have never dropped it

Customer:

the only thing i can think about is that i dont turn it off days in a row, i just close the computer and thats it

Customer:

but anyways, thank you for all your help. so after i transfer the files i format the disk right?

David Ruck :

I wouldn't worry about that, I don't think your damaging it by just putting it to sleep all the time. The hard drive should have gone at least 2-years MINIMUM.

David Ruck :

After the files are all transferred, I would format the drive (assuming it still works) and give the computer a clean install. Then you can transfer all of your files back to the Mac probably via your external drive.

David Ruck :

The best case scenario would be to repair the disk if possible, but without another Mac around, that is unlikely.

David Ruck :

If you ever have any questions in the future, please don't hesitate to send me a question directly. I'm always glad to help.

Customer:

ok. thank you !!!

Customer:

i definetly will

David Ruck :

Also, if I have answered your question completely, I'd appreciate if you'd accept. Thanks again.

Customer:

ok.. i will. thank you!!

David Ruck, Professional Video Editor
Experience: 8+ years Final Cut Studio /// expertise in Final Cut Pro, Compressor, Motion, Soundtrack Pro