Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  10+ years in hardware/software experience
8287049

I have a MacBook Air I received as a gift less than a year

I have a MacBook Air I received as a gift less than a year ago. I know nothing about computers so I have no idea if it's Lion/Snow Leopard or what have you. I have Word on it and am asking to see if there's a way to compare documents side by side. I have a six-hundred page novel but have been revising chapter by chapter and would like to go back and edit the main document as an editor has that one properly formatted.
Thanks for your time,
Gillian
Hello. Thank you for the question. Microsoft Word for Mac has a "Compare Documents" feature. Here is what you can do:

1) Launch Word on your Mac
2) Create a new (blank) document
3) Click Tools -> Track Changes -> Compare Documents
4) Open each document that you want to compare

The changes between documents will be shown in red, and you can use the "Review" tab to accept or reject changes between documents.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to assist further. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I followed your instructions and I'm not getting them side by side. I'm trying to do small chunks of 15-20 pages that are scattered here and there throughout a 600 page document. All I'm getting is a full screen of a single one of them

You had mentioned side by side compare but the way the compare works if that you get a single document with the changes highlighted in red. This way you do not have to manually compare two documents side by side and can clearly see the changes then accept/reject them using the review tab.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is working out horribly. I've tried several ways, and cannot edit the main document chapter by chapter. Worst case, it actually deleted 580 pages of the original which, fortunately, I had backed up.

So, thank you for your time and knowledge. And while, I'm disgruntled, it's not with you. I'm just horribly upset with Mac right now, and thinking, hmmm, maybe a PC would've been a better way to go for ease of editing large amounts of date in small bits.