Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Can't open NHL website in Safari.

I can't open the NHL website in Safari on my iMac.

We can do a quick reset on Safari. Before the reset, please save this page to your Bookmarks. After the reset, click on the saved link to come back. Reset Safari as follows:

Open Safari.

Click on Safari menu (next to Apple logo on top left corner)

Select Empty cache

Click on Safari menu again, Select Reset Safari and make sure to select/check boxes (DO NOT CHECK THE BOX TO REMOVE SAVED USER NAME AND PASSWORD)

Hit Reset button again.

Now open Safari and see if NHL will open now.

If that does not work, please go to www.firefox.com. Download and install Firefox Browser. Open Firefox browser and see if you can open the NHL website with Firefox.

If this method did not work or you need more help, please reply back to continue our conversation. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried resetting Safari. Without success. I opened Firefox and the NHL site opens. What should I do now?

Did you get any error when open the NHL website on Safari?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There was no error.

Please select Safari and select Reset Safari. On the list, please make sure ALL boxes are checked except for Remove saved names and password. Click Reset and exit Safari.

graphic

Reboot your iMac. Open Safari and view NHL website again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I reset Safari again and rebooted the computer. Still no luck.

Is the website NHL.com? Were you be able to view it before?

Did you get any error message or code this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The website is NHL.com and I've viewed it for years.

When I try, the site partially opens and there is a spinning wheel in the right end of the address bar. There is no error message or code.

Thanks.

When was the last time you viewed the website?

Is this the only site you are having problem with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was probably last spring when the hockey season was over. It seems to be the only site that there is a problem with. The NFL MLB and NBA all seem good.

Please use Safari and go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/. Download and install latest Flash Player. Exit Safari. Open Safari and try to open NHL.com again.

Does it work? Or still cannot?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't believe this. I downloaded Adobe and installed it. Still nothing. I did a complete and reboot still nothing. I tried Firefox again and it works the very best. I can't imagine what it is.

Thanks for your update.

Please go to http://support.apple.com/downloads/#safari and download/ install the latest Safari for your iMac. Reboot and test again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry to such a pest but I couldn't find anything on that Apple site relating to Safari.

Please click on the Apple top left corner and select Software Update. Let it run. When done, see if there is an update for Safari. If yes, run Safari update. Test the website again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My software was up to date. On the Apple site. Is there a place to download updates for Safari?

Usually Software update should be sufficient.

I am out of ideas why it will not work. Let me reopen your question to all experts for other suggestions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Give it a try. I'm happy with the effort that you have made and I can live with just being able to get NHL on Firefox.

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory. It is all right there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OSX 10.6.8

Processor 2.16 GHZ Intel core 2 DUO

Memory 4GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM

OK it is possible the site just won't work with that version of Safari since it does work with Firefox but first go to Safari- About Safari and tell me the version number.

I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions. If it is not successful let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The verify disk ended with “the volume Macintosh HD appears ok”.

I started permission repair and that appears to be complete.

What do I do now?

OK. What about the Safari version number?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry. I thought you were asking for the iMac version number.

The Safari number is (6534.59.10)

OK go to Safari / Preferences / Extensions and turn off extensions. Then go to Safari / Reset Safari check all boxes and click Reset, then quit Safari and reopen Safari and go to nfl.com. Is the problem still there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's still not working.

OK there is one more thing short of upgrading to Mountain Lion and Safari 6. Go to Safari / Preferences / Advanced, check the box "Show Develop menu in menu bar", then close Preferences and you should now see Develop in the Safari menu. Go to User Agent Firefox or whatever version is listed. Safari will now emulate Firefox and it may work.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry still no luck. Let's pull the plug.

Okay, good luck.

Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.