Nick H.
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.
63271161

I totally messed up my copy of iTunes by moving files around

I totally messed up my copy of iTunes by moving files around between drives. Would it be easier to: (A) fix iTunes on my computer or (B) start fresh on another computer? How would I do "A": remove iTunes system files, uninstall and reinstall iTunes, and re-import all my music? And how would I do "B": simply move my music files to another copy of iTunes?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Nick H. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you today.

You can make another iTunes profile. Hold the SHIFT key while open iTunes. You will see this window/pop-up.

graphic

Select Create Library.
Next, save this iTunes (or type your own folder name here) folder to My Documents.
iTunes will then create a new Library for you.
Now you can import your music, photos, videos, and more. Then sync your iphone, ipad, or ipod to this new library.

Please reply if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

If I create a new library, can I delete the old one?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

P.S. The reason I moved files around was that I didn't have enough room on C: for all my music.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 11 months ago.
Carrie,

Yes you can delete the old one. Create the new library will let you start fresh without doing anything else. It is like you just installed iTunes and now import your files to iTunes and sync with your devices.

It is best to keep all your files in one folder (internal or external drive) to easily organize.

Nick
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience: Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.